harpcolumn

wire strung harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists wire strung harp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi, I’m new to this site.

I have played a nylon strung lever harp for some time.

Tacye
    Participant

Wire marking pens are available here:

http://www.earlygaelicharp.info/emporium/accessories/

Some people use paint pens (make sure the paint is thin enough not to alter the sound).

Sylvia Clark

I put white-out on the strings, with a dot of red or blue.

Chris Caswell
    Participant

Hi,

Paint pens will dull the sound. Sharpies rub right off. Some brands of felt tip makers last pretty well. Mark above and below the area you play.

Cheers,

Chris Caswell

tony-morosco
    Participant

I was going to recommend what Chris said. I have seen Patrick Ball play many times, and I noticed that when he uses markers to mark the strings he only marks them on the tops, above where he plays. He can see the color there, but doesn’t touch the colored part when he plays.

I will ask him what he uses.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I heard back from Patrick about what pens he uses. Here is what he said:

“Opaque paint pens work well. Sharpie makes them, as well as Permapaque. And yes, as Kari sagely points out, everything wears off. But, in this as elsewhere in life, I try to avoid confrontation. So, I only color the upper part of the string. My fingers never touch the color.”

He also asked me to wish you good luck with your new harp.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

You could also try enquiring here:

http://www.wirestrungharp.com/

Stephen Conor
    Participant

Some players don’t color their strings at all, and find their way by knowing their top and bottom strings, tracking vibrating strings, finding particular intervals (half–steps, gaps or perhaps two strings tuned identically in the middle of the harp’s range), or even gauging from a mark in the grain of the wood next to a particular string.

However, most harpers do use color to at least some extent. If you have trouble seeing your strings and have tried the obvious course of re–applying their color, there are a couple of things you can try. You can use a brighter color, say pink instead of red for your C’s or turquoise for the F strings. You can take a fine piece of colored thread and tie a bit of it high up on the string or down near the soundboard. Some people color their string shoes or tuning pins especially those who are new and taking harp lessons. Paint may work better than using markers (try a model paint from a hobby shop). If you decide to use paint or permanent markers, do be very careful not mark the wood of your harp.

Eileen Monger
    Participant

Remember the Celtic harpers over the years, including Carolan,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.