Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Sid Humphreys
MemberGot mine yesterday (Friday).
Sid Humphreys
MemberOne of my harp teachers (Jill) was coming back in to the US from a Canadian gig. Going through customs, the agents made their minds up that she must be smuggling cocaine in her harp. Long story short, they drilled holes in her soundboard. When nothing was found, they sent her on her way. Damaged harp! Don’t do this gig. Please!
Sid Humphreys
MemberRight now I am doing Suk’s “Fairytale” first movement. It’s like 6 pages of hard exercises. I’m really tempted to do E major glisses for half a measure with a C natural for the other half coming down. This goes on for 6 pages ( 2 sextuplets ascending followed by 2 sets of 16th descending). LOL!
Sid Humphreys
MemberPatricia, maybe you’ll get a chance to do Saint-Saens ‘Marche Heroique.’ Much better for the harp!
Sid Humphreys
MemberI once had a meltdown during a church orchestra rehearsal. While we have a piano (with 2 mikes on it), the conductor once again scribbled “harp” on a piano part and put it in my music slot. I couldn’t take it anymore. I took the part up to her and informed her that just because you write harp on the music doesn’t make it a harp part. Did I mention that I get in trouble a lot?
Sid Humphreys
MemberLike! 😉
Sid Humphreys
MemberThanks for the effort Clinton!
Sid Humphreys
MemberKimberly, my last teacher (Rebekah Passmore) taught me the importance of placing 2 and 3 first. She called this “Peace Out!”
Sid Humphreys
MemberThis happened to me at least 4 times before leaning to take the batteries out! LOL
December 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm in reply to: Reasons for mysterious gender imbalance in harp playing…? #113293Sid Humphreys
MemberThat’s good to know Sylvia, thanks!
December 7, 2013 at 4:20 am in reply to: Reasons for mysterious gender imbalance in harp playing…? #113291Sid Humphreys
MemberI think Sylvia has a good point there, but also teachers (like Salzedo) liked the girls. He didn’t want to teach men. He liked swooning the girls. Salzedo said that men looked awkward playing the harp. I know that he alone is not responsible for this but it DID aide the swing towards a women’s instrument.
I’ve always heard of his female students… did Salzedo have any male students? Never did bother to read his book.December 6, 2013 at 1:12 am in reply to: A vastly simplified harp part for John Rutter’s TOMORROW WILL BE MY DANCING DAY #62760Sid Humphreys
MemberLaughing at this thread as my rant titled “Dear John Rutter” shows up in the corner! I may want a copy of this David. I am thinking of doing the same thing with Rutter’s Gloria.
December 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm in reply to: A vastly simplified harp part for John Rutter’s TOMORROW WILL BE MY DANCING DAY #62757Sid Humphreys
MemberIs this the John Rutter version?
Sid Humphreys
MemberClinton,
Thank you so much for this. Looks like I will just have to wait to get the part then! It really saves me the anguish of looking and looking only to find it isn’t available for sale. You’ve saved me from hours of searching.Sid Humphreys
MemberAlison, feel free then to ask Catrin if you feel comfortable doing so. Artist Tape is what I’m using. Architects use it for tapping paper to the desk in order to draw up plans. The tape comes off the paper and desk easily and cleanly. Masking tape would not.
-
AuthorPosts