harpcolumn

Playing a gig in Mexico?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Playing a gig in Mexico?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

I was recently contacted by a bride and groom to play for their wedding–at a church just south of the border. I know you need a passport, visas, and possibly a work permit. But has anybody ever done a one-off gig in Mexico or have any advice? My gut feeling is that it might be fraught with all sorts of pitfalls, everything from bribery to sawing thought the column to prove there is no drug smuggling! Any advice, please…..or names of any harpist in the Baja region of Mexico?

kreig-kitts

Having your harp dissasembled is exactly what I’d fear. You’re probably familiar with the recent story of the flutist whose handmade bamboo instruments were destroyed:

@http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/02/showbiz/musician-instruments-destroyed/

Though you probably won’t have bamboo, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone want to look inside the soundbox at least, but who knows, perhaps they’ll yank the pedals off and rip the rods out to look inside the column. Unless it’s the gig of a lifetime and you have a written sign-off from your insurance carrier or you can locate a local harp (and even then you might have legal issues if there are problems and you are there on a tourist visa), I wouldn’t take it.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

One of my harp teachers (Jill) was coming back in to the US from a Canadian gig. Going through customs, the agents made their minds up that she must be smuggling cocaine in her harp. Long story short, they drilled holes in her soundboard. When nothing was found, they sent her on her way. Damaged harp! Don’t do this gig. Please!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I just read a news article about the Mexican government confiscating hundreds of foreign boats because of an alleged non-payment of a $70 permit. There is a huge crackdown on non-payment of taxes in Mexico. Why risk having something happen to your harp -or you. I agree with Sid – have your insurance company sign off.

kay-lister

David my dear . . . TURN AND RUN!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to hear of some “Normal” gigs that you have coming up.

Kay

peggy-tierney
    Participant

Always go with your gut!

jimmy-h
    Participant

After what you’ve recently endured I’d be very wary. Mexico is still a dangerous place.

carl-swanson
    Participant

David- I’ll try to state this as calmly and diplomatically as possible. ARE YOU %@#&* CRAZY???!!! There isn’t enough money in the world to pay me to go to Mexico now. Getting your harp back and forth across the border is the least of your problems. You could be kidnapped and held for ransom or killed. You seem to be drawn to suicidal gigs like flies are drawn to you-know-what. Don’t do it!

Sylvia
    Participant

I live very close to the border. In the good ole days, I played over there numerous times. I always got picked up and taken back home…I never drove over myself, would you believe. The border guards never examined my harp…just poked it to see if there was a person inside the cover.

Driving in Mexico was like Russian roulette. When my parents were alive, we would cross the border to shop. Cars would not stop for stop signs, so it was like dodge ball…You had to just keep from getting hit.

I haven’t been over there since the passport requirement went into effect. (’09, I think) You would probably need only a passport.
    But that’s not the only thing that’s changed, as has been pointed out.

I have not had a request to go there since before that time.
    I would NOT go now, even with a driver picking me up and bringing me back. I think it’s just too dangerous.

The word from here is ….
    You don’t need the money, whatever amount it is.

Of course, if you’re looking for adventure, by all means, go. Just let us know when you go so we’ll know where you are if we never hear from you again.

David,

Are you a glutton for punishment? (am shaking my head as I’m writing this…)

Christian Frederick
    Participant

Please turn and run north! You are way too special to take this chance, my dear friend.

David Ice
    Participant

Thanks for affirming what I felt in my gut…this wedding would have been in Rocky Point (just south of the Arizona boarder) but I was feeling uneasy about it. The bride and groom haven’t called me back yet, so no harm done. I’ve had enough “gigs from hell” lately! So I am thankful for your advice! “Diva” and “Boomer” are to precious to me to risk holes in the soundboard!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

David,

You have such a unique way of livening up Harp Column…thank you for making this month’s drama short-lived:)

Sylvia
    Participant

Maybe the Arizona border is safer? I’m by the Texas border.
    However, another factor is that a man and his harp would probably be examined more carefully than a woman and a harp.

I looked up Rocky Point, wondering why it had an English name…big resort.
    Only found a couple of things…none for this month.

Rocky Point shooting: 5 dead in shootout in northern Mexico resort
    http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/…/4-dead-in-shootout-in-Rocky-Point-resort‎
    Dec 18, 2013 – Five men were killed in a gunbattle with Mexican security forces early Wednesday near a luxury hotel in the popular Gulf of California resort of …
    Rocky Point Shootout Killed a Cartel Boss, Mexican Officials Say …

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/…/rocky_point_shootout_cartel_mi…‎
    by Matthew Hendley – in 26 Google+ circles
    Dec 20, 2013 – Gonzalo Inzunza Inzunza, a top lieutenant in the Sinaloa cartel, was among six people killed in an hours-long shootout on…

natalie-wagner–2
    Participant

Oh Mr. David! Trouble seems to try and find you!

I have a brilliant plan! Your arrangement of Stairway to Heaven is so beautiful… Every time you get a terrible / suspicious / crazy / phony / preposterous / silly / dangerous / uncomfortable / etc job offer, tell us all about it because your posts are always so interesting, then arrange a new song. It will benefit you by making up some profit and releasing the tension, and it could bless us with more of your wonderful harp arrangements!

(Unless there is another David Ice who arranges for harp, then this post will be so embarrassing…)

Stay safe and stay home please!

— Natalie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.