Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: the ultimate in harp bling! #78171

    Mia, it is a real harp

    in reply to: freezing cold hands due to nerves – tips? #62899

    Carl’s suggestion has helped me a lot. Over the years it has gotten better as I no longer need the Beta Blocker for orchestra rehearsals and only take half a dose for performances.

    in reply to: the ultimate in harp bling! #78168

    I discovered yesterday, with the help of Charles Hooper, that this is a Russian harp; a #12 Selena that has been “refinished” by a 2nd party. It was the black oval logo plaque that identified it!

    in reply to: the ultimate in harp bling! #78162

    Thank you Tacye! I think that’s it!

    in reply to: I’m looking to buy a harp but which one? #113543

    Luke, there aren’t near as many harp makers out there as guitar makers. Understand my point here? Listen to recordings of harps that you think sound good, then research what kind and make that harp is. That may help steer you in the direction of brand you may buy. That doesn’t mean that you can’t find a lower end harp with a great sound though. Sometimes they just happen. Another good thing is to start is looking through the forums here, reading feedback that people have written about harps they’ve tried, bought, even leased (ever thought of leasing one?). Many harp showrooms and teachers have harps that they lease out.
    Look at the pre-owned harps on this site to get an idea of what used harps sell for. Good luck with your search!

    in reply to: The American Harp Journal- Carl Swanson #62197

    The red corrections made it SO much easier to read! I actually enjoyed reading this article, so thank you Carl and Elizabeth for doing it in the first place and secondly making it clear to read! Mmmmwah!

    You can find some of this at Melody’s Music out of Houston Tx,
    Their web site is http://www.foldharp.com

    in reply to: Another kind of wedding #62874

    It sounds like there was no communication between the musicians and the wedding co-ordinator. I also assume that the group just showed up and did the wedding without rehearsing together.
    I applaude you for your musical standards. This is a couples most important day and it should flow with respect!

    in reply to: Music for harp and e-bass? #113529

    Anja, look up Cindy Horstman. ( http://www.cindyhorstman.com ) . she is a jazz harpist and may be able to help you with your music quest.

    in reply to: Music for harp and e-bass? #113528

    If I’m not mistaken, It’s an electric bass guitar.

    in reply to: Possible to refinish a lacquered Salvi lever harp? #78110

    Dear Robin,
    Put the sandpaper down and walk. Away. From. The. Harp….

    in reply to: Which Harp Fits The Following Criteria? #78028

    I’ve played on quite a few Camacs and have noticed that some of them have more spacing in the top. This was great as I didn’t scape my hands playing in the upper register.

    in reply to: Totally NOT harp related #113471

    LOL, No Sylvia. I live in a typical (Dallas) town home that was built in the 80’s. That means single paned windows and poor insulation on the outside walls. When the temperature outside falls below 30, the downstairs heater can’t keep up. It runs almost nonstop which dries up the air in the house. I’ve seen the humidity on my hygrometer drop from 45% to 12% in a matter of hours, even though it may be wet outside. On days like that we have to fill the humidifier 2-3 times a day because it is working so hard to keep up.

    in reply to: Totally NOT harp related #113468

    Even though I have a performance on Feb 22, I’ve changed out all my strings (it was that time for the whole harp, yuk). 5th oct E has been replaced 3 times and 3rd oct D has been replaced 4 times.The weather here has fluctuated between 70 degrees and 15 degrees every week for the past 3 weeks which is wreaking havoc on the strings. I know it’s risky to do this so close to a performance.

    in reply to: VORNADO humidifiers? #78009

    I have one Sonya, use it on cold (if this is the one you go with), warm creates a nasty while mineral film on everything. The cold will produce less of this film. My favorite was the Honeywell cold no mist humidifier but can’t seem to find it anymore. Do not aim the Vornado at your harp. During cold fronts here in Dallas, the best a humidifier can do is keep the room around 40% when the heater is running. Without, it would be around 12%.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 362 total)