Sid Humphreys

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 362 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Charging someone for replacing their harp strings #142743

    What Catherine said, AND be prepared for more strings to break.

    in reply to: Starting the harp as an adult #142595

    I started at age 27. My first teacher was the wonderful Cindy Horstman. I do consider myself a professional. It can be done!

    in reply to: Which musical instrument insurance company is good? #142359

    @HarpAficionadoBlair, your harp is not properly insured then. You are covered only in your home in the case of fire or theft. You are not covered in your car or while on a gig at all. If you accidentally loose grip of your harp when moving it to your car (or in your case ACROSS the room) YOU ARE NOT COVERED! Wake up and get covered. I know it sounds like I am attacking you but I really do care. Homeowners will not take care of your instrument.

    in reply to: Pedal harp strings: Savarez or Bow? #141204

    Carl, what about the Savarez Gut strings?

    in reply to: Pedal harp strings: Savarez or Bow? #114901

    I can’t wait to hear the Savarez strings. I restrung with BowBrand back in Jan. and so far have had to replace 5th oct E 6 times. Just wen it’s about to start holding tune it breaks. Many of the other strings are either rough or have imperfections that remind me of Burgandy strings. Not a big deal if that’s what you pay for.

    in reply to: Fantasy Harp #113662

    While I really love my ebony and bronze 23 by L&H, I think a Salzedo in ebony with the column in equal parts platinum, 23K gold and ebony would be stunning. That would truly be art deco!

    in reply to: Musical Intention #60606

    All of thee above Saul. There have even been times that I didn’t raise but went downward instead. It all depends on the piece.

    in reply to: Which musical instrument insurance company is good? #113647

    Alan, I use Anderson, visit their we site to get an idea of rates. They have alway done well for me! http://www.anderson-group.com
    They do insure for replacement cost.

    in reply to: question about La Scuola by Swanson #78417

    Technical Specifications
    47 string concert grand size
    approximately 76 pounds
    72 inches tall
    High gloss finish, and highly polished action plates, with all brass hardware gold plated.
    Carbon fiber reinforced neck material for extra strength and stability
    Available in Cordovan, Red Mahogany, Walnut, Ebony, & Antique maple

    in reply to: Puccini’s, O Mio Babbino Caro #62279

    Thank you Brian!
    Would still like the version in the video if anyone knows of it.

    in reply to: Professional harp insurance #113603

    You don’t for Anderson. I had to take pictures to send in to them though. They had to be high-resolution so they can be blown up really large so that they can check for flaws. Your instrument is insured for replacement cost ( if you have a 50 year old 23, it will be covered for the cost of a new 23). If you want a lower replacement cost or a higher one, I’m sure they will work with you n that.

    in reply to: Professional harp insurance #113597

    Anderson

    in reply to: Which shoulder? #89102

    I have seen a left handed pedal harp out there before… that would be played on the left shoulder, the discs and pins are also on the right side of the harp.

    in reply to: the ultimate in harp bling! #78178

    Well Alison, we don’t know the price yet. Being that this harp is in the UAE, it may have a really big price tag. It also appears to be one of a kind.

    in reply to: Dvorak’s “The Wood Dove” (The Wild Dove) #62231

    Sorry, after looking through this again it is 9 bars from the end of the piece where the “tremolo” starts (to me this is still a trill). It starts F natural, then E natural, back to F natural, then A flat, THEN G natural. I think the answer is to tune the 1rst octave A down half a pitch. That note is only used at this part of the piece.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 362 total)