harpcolumn

Don’t you hate it when that happens?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Don’t you hate it when that happens?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Last night as I was practicing an orchestral arrangement of Simple Gifts (which isn’t so simple but that’s another thread), I noticed that something was out of tune. Quickly my feet felt across all the pedals and only F was sharp which is correct. I kept playing but there was that horrible out of tune sound again that was coming from more than one string. Suddenly I realized that my F pedal rod was broken! Eek! What to do at 9PM with no other fellow harpist nearby of even a harp tech? Thank goodness my 2nd harp teacher (Juliette Buchanin) insisted that I buy Carl Swanson’s Guide for Harpists! After consulting the book,

andy-b
    Participant

Thank goodness it was an easy fix, Sid! I had a foot snap off a Salvi McFall lever harp during a wedding once, and had to prop the harp up on one side. If only it had happened at home!

In your photo, it looks like your harp is ebony and bronze? Very beautiful!

Andy

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Thanks Andy, yes, ebony and bronze. How funny, I was just looking at your pic thinking how nice your ebony harp is! I do hope that something like this doesn’t happen in the performance, you know, what are the odds?

Sid

Yes, harps are not made to be trundled for distances. One or two blocks is a maximum to have in mind. A foot can come off from sliding it across smooth terrazzo floors. Think of harps as crystal goblets and you should be safe.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I’d never slide a harp on a hard surface Saul, maybe a short scoot ( a few inches) on the carpet but will always pick it up or use a cart on a hard floor.

don-hilsberg
    Participant

Sid,

I share your experience, however I wasn’t as lucky as you were with a loose screw.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

I found this a good warning when it happened, Don. I now have a full set of pedal rods as well as a full set of pedal springs on hand!

Ida Slapta
    Participant

You should also order a set of the “new” style pedal couplings for your current rods.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Sid, I also had a broken pedal rod, an E in the middle of a performance of Carmen, just before the Entr’acte.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Ida, yes my new rods do have the new couplings.

Mel, is that common to go through so many pedal rods?

I noticed after repairing my harp that the buzz

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

#%!* Don’t you hate it when that happens?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies