harpcolumn

syllables for counting

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp syllables for counting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Misty Harrison
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has syllables for counting large ‘tuplets, like groups of five (five-lets), etc. Something like 1-la-le or 1-e-&-a

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Misty, I don’t have any suggestions for quintuplets or septuplets, but for sextuplets you can say 1-ah-da and-ah-da.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Rosalind.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

Thanks!

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I still sometime hear myself counting “huckleberry” for 16th notes.

kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

I use words:

Quarter note = “Pear”
    two eighths = “Ap-ple”
    triplet = “Pin-ap-ple”
    four sixteenths = “Wa-ter-mel-on”
    quintuplet = “Un-i-ver-si-ty” or “Phil-a-del-phi-a” (sadly, no fruit)

I would love words for sextuplets and beyond if anyone has found them!

KIM

Stephanie
    Spectator

For a quintuplet my teacher came up with Span-ni-ko-pi-ta because I love Greek food.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Spanikopita works beautifully! “Hark, How the Bells” is actually “quarter-two eights-quarter”.

Using real words is a Kodaly device. I’m sure music teachers used the idea before he did, but he refined it.

Using real words or phrases is more helpful to learners, because meaningful verbalizations stick with you more easily than sequences of unrelated syllables.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

These are great!!! really struggle with this all the time, and all I had was “straw-ber-ry” for a triplett, so the other words will help!

Thanks,

Gloria

Kim, sextuplets might be hig-ge-ly pig-ge-ly, adapted from the old nursery rhyme- Higgely piggely my black hen–!

kay-lister

Another one for sextuplets is: do-ya-want-a-cook-ie.

kay-lister

AND – have-you-seen-my-pup-py-dog (7)

K

Syllables are great for counting tuplets, but it’s really important to make sure that all the syllables are evenly stressed, or you end up with an incorrect rhythm. “University”, “Hippopotamus” and “Philadelphia” all work brilliantly for fives. “Strawberry” can be pronounced as an eighth note with two sixteenths, so I would suggest “hamburger”. In fact, “Hamburger, Pepsi” is good for going back and forth between triplet and duplet rhythm. Two against three was “old rattletrap” when I was learning piano. Sixes can be “hamburger hamburger”, if they are to be counted as two groups of three, or “Have you seen my homework?” if they are three groups of two.

My favorite for quintuplets is Car-los-Sal-ze-do, naturally. For septuplets, I like pa-ra-leg-al-ass-is-tant. My sister learned ta-ki-ta for triplets and ta-ka-dee-me for quadruplets. Miss Lawrence used not-diff-i-cult for two against three. Miss Chalifoux used something like puddle-uddle-uddle for spelling out a chord.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

I believe it was Miss Chalifoux who taught the opening notes of Chanson dans la nuit as “Blueberry huckleberry pie.”

My 4 against 3 is PG-13: pass the goddamn butter.

Funny how many food words get us through rhythms!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.