sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • sherry-lenox
    Participant

    When I took my BA in Music Education (back in the Stone Age) there were people who started with sub-professional auditions and in the long run made out pretty well. Still, I had a fall back profession in another teaching field that was much more secure, and because of that, much more lucrative.

    Since you are lucky enough to have another field that you are passionate about, the previous suggestions are terrific. You will be able to relish study in both fields, and prepare to support yourself

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111986
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Second.

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111980
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My thoughts are with Beth, as I have walked more than once in her shoes. The harp came to me at a time of loss and sorrow, and has been a source of solace in the time since, so my hope is that her music will help her as mine has me.

    in reply to: Dry, splitting, cracking, bleeding finger tips #157867
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Has anyone mentioned that in addition to fish oil, and all the other good things mentioned, massaging the crackes before bedtime with antibiotic cream (OTC) can really soothe the cracked skin? Ooops- maybe I mentioned it before.

    in reply to: retuneing during a wedding #111975
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I’m grateful to all here for passing on the opportunity to address Beth’s lack of correct use of subjunctive mood. It might have hurt her feelings, and as we all know, calling someone out because

    in reply to: Thanksgiving “Performance” #163849
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I would have to say that I’m not a fan of using medicine for anything at all, but I did have an interesting experience several years ago that gave me a different perspective on the impact that alternate solutions can have on performance.

    At the time, I was singing two or three services per week in a local church. I had NO performance anxiety, and always felt at ease whatever the makeup of the congregation.

    Then came a situation in which I was taking daily doses (small) of Inderal for treatment of an extremely rapid heartbeat. Much to my amazement, it became even easier to sing in public, specifically easier breathing and less effort in doing physical movement and gesture.

    Mind you, I never had the slightest

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68888
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    A-Humph. Just one moment please. I am a wizened little old lady, shrinking from cellular deterioration, and if I hope to play a pedal harp, it would most certainly be a 40 string one. My teacher has a small harp, and I believe it may be a Salvi. To my unpracticed eye, it appears to be almost exactly the same as her Prelude.

    She plays it in a local, very, very good amateur symphony, and has no trouble being heard.

    Seriously, I wonder if the smaller Salvi is mechanically complete, or is that not possible in a 40 string harp?

    in reply to: Salvi Daphne 40 #68885
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Some days ago there was a discussion about the L&H 85XP,

    in reply to: Virtual Harp Circle for beginners #163877
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Is this excerpted/simplified in Suzuki I? I just learned it!

    in reply to: Just to let you know . . . #108554
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    OK- Now I’M JEALOUS! Very best wishes to all involved!

    in reply to: The down side of a piano background #85952
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    As a woeful pianist, and believe me, I’m not kidding about that, my harp lessons have improved my piano ability slightly. Previous to playing harp, my approach to piano was feverishly searching for notes like looking for a needle in a haystack, hitting or missing, and resuming the search after every note in order to find the next

    in reply to: Very New too #163890
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    glad to help!

    in reply to: Very New too #163888
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi Judeth- Lots of us newbies have to come to our harps after life changing events, and found that the harp itself can be the most life changing of all.

    If your harp is tuned in Eb, you need to raise 2 levers before the red C strings and one before the blue/black F strings. Try that, play a scale, and see if it sounds right. If not, let us know. Your teacher will not embarrass you- I have a degree in music education and it took me a long time to figure the levers out, and I’m not always sure even now. Keep us posted!

    in reply to: Classical Lever Music #87081
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Saul are they facsimile prints or are they printed in current day print? I want to watch the notes whizz by as Gould memorializes them.

    in reply to: Classical Lever Music #87079
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Aren’t they terrific books Gloria? I bought it last summer at Somerset, actually to get that very piece, although I haven’t worked

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 747 total)