sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145221
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    There are a lot of “crossovers” and SUVs that are built with a rather

    in reply to: Worst/ Strangest Wedding Request #111515
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I have worked regularly in a Catholic church in which there were various degrees of sophistication, both musical and liturgical, among the assigned clergy. I wound up doing all manner of things from show tunes, LOTS of secular stuff, and some woeful garbage that somebody found at a Bridal Planning Event.

    The nicest ones I ever did were the ones in which the happy couple said “You’re the pros- do what you think will be nice”. For those we always knocked ourselves out.

    in reply to: What’s your favorite-looking harp? #110706
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I still haven’t gotten over that ’40’s Salzedo that was on the L&H website a couple months ago. Doesn’t anyone know who bought it?

    in reply to: Harp pal wanted #163392
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I love the idea and I’m a crabby pedagogy nut. I do something similar when re-learning a C clef that I haven’t used for a while, except without the color cue. It really is amazing how knowing a few notes and using them to orient the rest of the notes around them can make the task so much easier.

    Thanks for sharing!

    in reply to: Ring finger problem #163428
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Older, are you working on this problem too?

    Patricia, I really appreciate your response as well. I suspect part of my problem is being less than attentive at home when I have my mind on something else. When I’m at my teacher’s studio, I know that I have to keep my arm in the right position and at the right height. Seeing and studying your very clear explanation, I realized why the problem is worse at home than during my lessons.

    I feel so fortunate to have a wonderful teacher as well as the input of this board. I’ve been able to teach myself to play several instruments in the past, some to an advanced level, but the subtlties of the harp make it a very difficult instrument to learn without the input of others.

    I love the “big” Grossi book. The particular exercise in question is fun to play, sounds good, and teaches an essential skill.

    in reply to: Harp with Children #163423
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Terrific for listening training, Erin! Just the kind of thing that works perfectly for training toddlers to be critical listeners, and that’s something that is harder than ever as the noise in their world exponentially increases.

    Tiptoes for lightly plucked notes, marching feet for chords, big gestures for loud notes, tiny little gestures for soft notes. Just please be sure to use the terms short and long for the duration of notes, loud and soft for volume, and fast and slow for tempo.

    I LOVE DOING KODALY WITH CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145217
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My husband tells me that this car is the same body type as the Pontiac Vibe, a terrific smaller car that I rented for a while when my Subaru was temporarily out of commission.

    I do understand the sight problems, but it certainly is a nice car. Don’t kn ow anything about the re-do.

    in reply to: Harp with Children #163421
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Interesting, we did mostly Kodaly and just a little Orff. I can’t find a “bordun” but I think it might be spelled a little differently, and is a drone. I dream of being able to finish Kodaly certification.

    in reply to: Harp with Children #163419
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Jennifer, if you’ve done any reading about the Kodaly Method, my very favorite teaching technique for children, you’ll find that tons of the Kodaly tools work wonderfully well with harp. I think some music therapy programs use a lot of Kodaly and Orff, and some I guess don’t. If you can find some articles online, I’m sure you’ll be able to adapt some goodies from them.

    in reply to: Should I purchase a Double Strung Harp or a Cross Strung? #163442
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I hope all of us novices are bearing in mind with our advice that the question was about a chromatic harp, ie., one that is not relying on levers or pedals to produce a chromatic scale.

    I have zero experience with a cross harp, but I do have

    in reply to: Adult students vs. child students #86782
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Hi Karen- As a trained musician, absolute novice on the harp, I find my teacher to be an excellent judge of what she needs to do and I need to do. She and I have come to a comfortable point of understanding my frustrations at wishing to be able to play everything perfectly the first time I see it, and her frustrations about my droopy thumbs and forearms. Sounds like you’re setting a course for yourself that works for you and your teacher.

    in reply to: A pain in the neck #161372
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    The relationship of the height of my harp to the height of my chair was a huge problem for me. When the Thormahlens added “tall feet” to the Serenade, my problem was immediately solved. You really can’t decide about the proportions in terms of your height. I’m “short” (5’4″) but still need a taller harp.

    This does take a little experimentation, but I think it’s definitely the first thing to consider.

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68532
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Katherine- You have the most wonderful ways of describing the harps you love!

    in reply to: Humidifier #163312
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I bought a humidifier from QVC (don’t ask) a couple weeks ago, but I haven’t tried it yet. The verdict is still out on “white dust”. Will post after I try it.

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68522
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Unfortunately the website is a little iffy. The picture of the harps together is beautiful though.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 747 total)