harpcolumn

Camac Little Big Blue Electro-Acoustic

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Camac Little Big Blue Electro-Acoustic

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    j-valentine
    Participant

Looking at the Camac Little Big Blue as my first and probably only pedal harp and just wanted any opinions, pros and cons, that I might not have thought of. You all seem so be so helpful.

I am 49 year old beginner and have been playing my DS Ravenna 34 for 18 months, really never intending to buy a pedal harp. But my teacher said to not rule it out, and sure enough, about eight months into it I wanted a pedal harp.

I have been researching and thought I wanted a LH 23 but I as I have read the discussions here I realized that I will have no need for a concert grand. I will hopefully (someday) play just background music, small town benefits and praise/worship team at church.

The only disadvantage that I have heard is the strings are harder to pull or require more finger muscle but that was just one opinion. Of course with electronics that is one more thing to break but for Praise and Worship Team and small benefits I could use it.

Any opinions?

Thanks again

tony-morosco
    Participant

It’s a good harp. That they take more finger strength to play I don’t agree with. In terms of the strings the Blue is no different than the other Camac concert harps, and they are very similar to most other pedal harps. There is no real standard, and there is some variation from make to make, but for the most part the string tension of the major harp builders are similar enough that it shouldn’t be an issue.

If you need a harp that can play chromatic music, but you don’t require the full range of a concert grand, and you need to amplify fairly regularly, then the Camac little big blue is a great choice.

As for the electronics, they are pretty stable. I have a Camac baby blue and after many years it still hasn’t given me much to complain about. When the occasional issue does pop up it is usually very minor and so far I have had nothing happen that I couldn’t fix myself in just a few minutes.

As always, you should go try out the harp you intend to buy yourself first to see how it works for you. But as a general rule Camac makes good harps and are a good choice.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Any particular reason for the electro-acoustic? The camac Clio is lighter than most other pedal harps and has 44 strings. I have an 85P that I consider a wonderful harp. Harps are amazingly hard to move and even with full time enthusiastic help, that can be an important consideration.

I have fibro and probably arthritis in my hands, but they never hurt when I play my harp. I’m very lucky in that respect and there are others who have had significant problems with pulling strings, so hopefully they’ll post too.

Isn’t it just the best thing on Earth to be able to take harp lessons and play?

🙂

Tacye
    Participant

Have you considered that on any harp you buy you could get a soundboard pickup installed?

j-valentine
    Participant

Thank you so much for sharing.

I am open minded on the harp. I am not anywhere near a harp showroom and there is not a single harpist within 100 miles. So over the last year a college string ensemble traveled through and the harpist had a Salvi that she let me pluck and of course I listened to her during the concert. I went to a harp festival and someone brought their LH 85P that I was able to play. They were OK and would be good but listening to the sound clips of the camac, I really liked it.

We might fly to a showroom in the end.

I would need to amplify most of the time and a pick up would probably due well also. I would be using the Dusty for nursing homes, hospitals, funerals, etc where I would not need amplification.

I am new and learning, so I appreciate all your help.

Thanks again.

Brian Stevenson
    Participant

My first pedal harp was a Camac Little Big Blue (44 strings)

j-valentine
    Participant

Thank you all so much for your help! I have ordered the a brand new high gloss ebony Camac Little Big Blue (44 string electro-acoutic) from the factory in France.

We think it is in customs as I write!

I am so very excited.

Thanks again.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Congratulations. Very exciting.

j-valentine
    Participant

It’s here! It’s beautiful. I love it. I am not sure how to post a picture. Here is a link to my pictures on Facebook. I am not sure it this will work.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=2415295137515&set=a.2415295097514.2111890.1105434311&type=1&theater

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.