any experience with “automatic finger control”?

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    tea-s-k on #156879

I have recently found a book called “automatic finger control” on this webpage:
    http://www.archive.org/details/automaticfingerc00ussc

while looking af sheet music the same place inspired from this forum.

Has anyone tried to follow these exercises? and with what results?

I tried the first weeks lesson once to figure out the time – and I already know I will have to spilt it up in the seperate exercises (do this twelve times with each finger takes some time, and it is only one exercise) but I think they could funktion as great breaks then I starts om my thesis, therefore I plan to start follow it at the same time.

Participant
    unknown-user on #156880

Yes, I would appreciate replies to this too. Thought…it is very thorough…but it would be good to get a physio’s angle, as it was published in 1921 and I wonder if the exercises pass muster with what is known scientifically about muscles/strain and so on. Perhaps you could put this thread in the ‘professional’ forum as well. I am nearly 50 and if I ever had fast twitching muscles, they have kind of abandoned me….so I am very interested in the exercises.

Tony G on #156881

I may get in trouble with some musicians for saying this, but some of those exercises are quite unhealthy from what I understand.

I have watched some videos of a very famous piano therapist (who’s name I can’t remember now… I’ll go looking for it later) and she said that finger isolation exercises (which I saw lots of) tend to be a main cause for injury/RSI in piano players… especially involving the third/fourth/fifth fingers, because they are linked.

When you try to exercise just one of the third/fourth/fifth fingers through a full range of motion to the exclusion of allowing the others to move at least somewhat with it, you are simultaniously involving both pull -and- push muscles, which is not healthy because they fight eachother.

But I am not an expert, and if it helps you without hurting you then more power to you.

Tony G on #156882

FINALLY remembered it… the Taubman Techniques. My university has the whole DVD set of the lectures the woman who runs/ran those camps did during one of the camps.

http://www.taubman-institute.com/html/home.html

But I understand that finger isolation exercises are still quite popular with many pianists/musicians, so for all I know I (and the videos) could be completely wrong. 🙂

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #156883

The first thought that entered my head was Robert Schumann. I think for every instrument I’ve ever played, there were etudes to develop the strength and dexterity needed to get the job done, with automatic response beng the goal.

The automatic part is intriguing though. For every woodwind I’ve ever played, I developed a sense of automatic fingering and in fact that’s something that once in place, never leaves, at least for me.

After four+ years of very good instruction on the harp, I’m only just beginning to develop some sence of automaticity, but the process seems to me to be very different from doing the same thing on a woodwind or other orchestral strings.

When I first began I would get almost frustrated enough to quit because my eyes would know what I needed to do and my fingers were floppy carrots. Happily I can now sight read some simple things with 75% or more accuracy on the first try. I think of that, on a very very basic level, as automatic fingering.

Tony G on #156884

I have only had three lessons, and no harp to practice on yet, but I have found that my fingers are automatically beginning to find their way to the strings (in close groups… not big leaps, yet ;)) without looking… I suspect my years of casual piano are the cause for that (I do not often have to look down at the keys, unless I am playing something complex). I think it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.