sherry-lenox

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 747 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: difficult part in contemporary piece by Philip Lasser #146184
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I was one of those overly scrupulous people that used to have “eraser parties” to clean up rented scores, when suddenly I noticed that the scores we were receiving were never cleaned up at all. I always used throw-away copies for major re-writes.
    No one I have ever known has gotten in trouble over reasonable rehersal marks.q

    in reply to: So whatcha workin on now? #103729
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Bochsa Progressive Etudes #49

    Pozzoli Intermediate #5

    Grandjany Pastorale

    Bochsa Progressive Etudes #49

    Pozzoli Intermediate #5

    Grandjany Pastorale

    Bochsa Progressive Etudes #49

    Pozzoli Intermediate #5

    Grandjany Pastorale

    Bochsa Progressive Etudes

    Pozzoli Intermediate #5

    Grandjany Pastorale

    Or sometimes I mix it up for a little change of pace and do-

    Grandjany Pastorale

    Bochsa Progressive Etudes#49

    Pozzoli Intermediate #5

    in reply to: solid or ply soundboard? #69914
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Try googling “harwood vs plywood for harp fingerboard” and you’ll get some good discussions.

    Follow the links and you’ll ultimately find that there are lots of different opinions. It will be helpful for your husband to read some of them too.

    in reply to: Musicianship #82705
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    For years it’s been a trade secret that it’s chic to say that you can’t read music if you’re a professional in some sort of music field. Some musicians in all aspects of music are more accomplished or less accomplished than others at reading, but with current research in music education indicating that anyone who can hear music can learn to read it, at least to some level, for someone to say he or she “doesn’t read a note” it is probably more from lack of training than from any unusual or extraordinary talent.

    in reply to: How to improve Sight Reading in a short time??? #165801
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I have to point out an error in my original post- “ap-ple-ap-ple” should be eighth-eighth-eighth-eighth, each syllable being one eighth note.

    Carl’s comments are very similar to what I’m talking about, but said in a more adult way BUT sometimes if you are struggling it helps to look at the tasks in the way a child would.

    Can you identify the time signature when you are listening to unfamiliar music?
    Can you identify whether the music is crusic or anacrusic? (google these terms if you don’t recognize them- you probably know what they mean but not the labels).

    A BIG HINT when sight reading is part of a jury/audition. When you have quickly found where the beats are, set for yourself a deliberate slow tempo. You will always score more points if you can play slowly with rhythmic accuracy than if you play at tempo but with no sense of the rhythms.

    If you are able to ask specific questions, please feel free. I’ll post more when I think Of more things you all should know.

    in reply to: How to improve Sight Reading in a short time??? #165798
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    See if it helps you to find where the beats are in each measure and then arrange the patterns of notes on each beat. It can be very helpful to think of words and syllables to match rhythms- ” pie-pie-apple-apple-huckleberry-huckleberry-blueberry-blueberry” represents a written pattern of quarter-quarter-eighth-eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth-sixteenth-sixteenth-tri-p-let-tri-p-let over eight beats. Always think of rhythm as different from tempo. Tempo. Only means differences in how the beat moves. The rhythm functions independent of the tempo. Once youknow the rhythm pattern, you do it at any tempo.

    If this makes no sense to you after you think about it for a while, discard it. If it DOES make sense, let me know and I’ll post more tricks for you.

    in reply to: Hopeless Harps Wanted for Repurposing #69946
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Sounds like a great way of taking a mid-East harp out of circulation, and some of them really are pretty. Take a look at the ones on Amazon.

    in reply to: Titanic’s Dedicated Musicians #146106
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Funniest line of 2012.

    in reply to: Intermediate competition piece suggestions #82796
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I love Laura Zaerr’s music too. I wish someone would record all of it. There are wonderful little snippets of some of her things on the Thormahlen website.

    in reply to: Compare & Contrast #69871
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    You might want to take a look at the Thormahlen Serenade too. My first real harp was a serenade and they are wonderful, as are the other harps you’ve mentioned.

    in reply to: toccata and Fugue in d minor #146288
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    My teacher and I were just discussing this at my lesson today, so it’s really nice that someone else is familiar with the Stowkosky version. That was an era in which classical music could make musicians into movie stars.

    in reply to: Our Hands #146247
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    I can give a glowing review to NexCare Skin Crack Care. It smells good, unlike the old skin glue, and contains Tea Tree Oil and also vitamin E AND oil soluble vitamin C.

    I understand it can be hard to find, but it is sold on Amazon. I got mine at the local Walgreen’s.

    in reply to: Installing Pedals on a Lever Harp #69998
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Oooops, the answer is actually “yes” , but the process is not practical. There was a post at Yahoo in 2011. I believe the builder that was mentioned was Rick Rubarth who now builds and sells RHarps.

    There was also the harp made in England (Morley?) with 43 strings, I think, that could have a pedal mechanism added. That was fairly recent.

    I may be wrong, although I just read the Yahoo reference so it can be googled.

    I’m not absolutely sure, so I’d rather say “maybe” than “No”.

    in reply to: Our Hands #146241
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Tomorrow I will be looking for NexCare Skin Crack treatment. It has gotten twelve 5 star reviews for being a sting free adjunct to rapid healing. I had forgotten how awful the stinging was when I was using another skin glue that was very popular at the time.

    I was only able to practice for about an hour today because of the large opening at the corner of my thumb, but hopefully if I can find the NexCare, I’ll be in better form by tomorrow afternoon. If I can find the stuff, I’ll submit my review here.

    in reply to: Our Hands #146232
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

    Until this year I always blamed my bad skin on cold weather, but it hasn’t even been that cold here in the NW-USA this year. Just now I have a crack opening on my right pointer and right thumb, and a big bruise on the callous of my left ring finger.

    We’ve had spring-like weather here for weeks, but still my hands are a mess. They have Neutrogena handcream here in three unit packages, and I may try your technique next.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 747 total)