Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThat is not the case. This only developed after it fell and the knee block hit the floor, thankfully on a fairly thick rug. There is no other damage, no visible displacement of anything. It has nothing to do with my playing, or my student’s playing, and NO harp should buzz when people play it!
August 15, 2019 at 11:37 pm in reply to: Studying Harp at a United Kingdom (UK) Conservatoire #229605Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThey have numerous schools and teachers. You might consider American schools, some of which have jazz programs.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThe “troubles” you refer to were in leadership and ownership. It happens from time to time, that not being the only time. Things seem to be on a very even keel these days. The last time I toured the factory, I was much impressed by the consistency of the harps, all sounding virtually the same. One group had a very organized overtones sound, the others had busy overtones that seemed more disorganized. There was an issue on some harps of apparently having the finish laid on too thickly, which I believe they corrected soon after that. It was clearly inhibiting the sound from coming out.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThe Salzedo models today are slightly altered, those of the 1980s were exactly the original design, I believe. A number of them had structural problems, so the proportions and elements of the column were slightly altered. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. Style 11s also used to have a wider sounding board than a 23, but I gather that led to uneven tone, a fatter bass, and thinner above. In that era, the neck was closer to the board in the first octave. And there have been changes in string spacing. Now, the harps have matte finishes, rather than French polished, which to me makes them look dusty all the time. I can’t stand it. A harp needs to be glossy. The later 80s was a beginning of a golden time, when they had fine wood available and the construction improved greatly over the 1970s, when they had to rush things along to keep up with the demand. I waited three-and-a-half years for my harp, which finally arrived in 1979. Fortunately, through three major repair jobs, it has become a magnificent instrument. It was often used by Heidi Lehwalder for performances and recordings.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI endorse Korg Tuners, and their Orchestral Tuner is the most useful, but their cheapest ones work very well. I do not recommend using a cellphone app. I did not find them reliable, and you have to worry about power usage and distractions.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIt’s an impressionist piece piece by Jacques Ibert, Matins sur l’eau, the first of his Six Pieces for Harp.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThat’s amazing that you found the sources.
August 5, 2019 at 1:31 pm in reply to: Advice needed in finding scholarships for grad school abroad #229282Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThe Fulbright Fellowships have long been the major scholarship program for overseas study. I believe the Rotary Club also does the same. If you go to a public library or contact the Foundation Center online, you can search through grants and such, and a librarian can help you narrow your search.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantWell, yes, that’s why it is such a puzzle. It’s fairly loud, too, but doesn’t last for a long time, so it’s only while the string is vibrating at maximum flux. It’s partly sympathetic. When I get around to changing strings it might help.
August 5, 2019 at 1:26 pm in reply to: Do you let others touch/play with your harp? Why or why not? #229280Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIt might be a good idea to bring along a lever harp they can touch. Touching a harp is sometimes necessary for knowing one must learn it. But as a student who is a nurse pointed out, harp strings can be contaminated with germs and bacteria from touching. You could have some alcohol with you and make them wipe off their hands first.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantSome students need a specific assignment, a goal for each week, written in a notebook. It depends on the person, but maybe the student will tell you, without realizing it. It also depends in what way they are not progressing. Is it musical, technical, or practical?
August 3, 2019 at 2:44 pm in reply to: Harp in Chamber Music / Quintette Instrumental de Paris #229249Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantYou should check harp publications like the American Harp Journal back issues, and for theses, because I’m sure I’ve seen studies of that ensemble before and their commissions. I’ve seen a list of their commissions before, and I believe all of them are published. Lyra used to publish a catalog which was rather complete and you can find such music there. It would be great if one could find an archived version of the Lyra website which initially had the complete catalog posted online.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThere’s also another difficult trio by Wallingford Riegger. Most famously, Salzedo transcribed the Ravel Sonatine. I am sure you can find Ravel’s Pavane for trio.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThank you for that link. I have been looking for things like that for years. I know that when I was a teen, I felt incapable of controlling my fingers other than playing notes, I could not change technically. I thought it was a developmental issue, but it could have been something closer to home as well.
August 3, 2019 at 2:36 pm in reply to: Differences in design between the Various 47 string concert grands #229246Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantWurlitzer harps are known as sturdy, if you are looking at a second-hand harp, and I think using pick-ups is preferable to having them built in, but I’m not expert on that, and I hate colored harps.
-
AuthorPosts