harpcolumn

Advice needed in finding scholarships for grad school abroad

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Advice needed in finding scholarships for grad school abroad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    paisleydittie
    Participant

Hello!
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I’ve recently been accepted to the MMus Scottish Harp program at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow, Scotland (super excited about it, too!!!!).

Now I’m hunting for scholarships, or anything like that, to help get me there. I’ve found that wading through all the different ideas/opportunities online is rather daunting and I would greatly appreciate some more focused help/direction from within the harp world.

I’d appreciate any ideas.

Thanks so much!!

Hannah

wil-weten
    Participant

Hannah, you’d better remove your gmailaddress or you will get lots of spam on it. You’d better ask the school about funding possibilities.

According to your subject description the school is abroad. As Scotland is part of the UK you may also wish to find out which changes Brexit will bring to your situation.

Good luck with your harp studies.

paisleydittie
    Participant

Wil-weten,

Thanks! I removed it.
    The school has already sent me some ideas but they are limited.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Tacye
    Participant

What country are you currently in?

paisleydittie
    Participant

Tacye,

I’m in the United States.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

1. Scholarships from the US – you will have to internet search this – not my country. But even in a small country like mine things exist if you search very hard. Look for things just to do with “the arts” as well as classical music.
    2. Scholarships from the UK and the conservatoire you want to go to – did you get a scholarship there? Follow every link they suggest. ‘
    3. Grants – find a benefactor. Look at your local biggest symphony orchestra’s subscribers – see if anyone sponsors the harp seat and start there then expand to all large donors to the orchestra or any classical music famous group in your area. Nice handwritten letter with attachments not some generic mail out you are clearly sending to everywhere – you need to create the personal touch.
    4. Study at a US university that is linked to where you want to go – that way the fees are usually cost neutral with an exchange.
    5. Make sure you have a great CV ready and very good recordings to send to all the above with your applications.

The Fulbright Fellowships have long been the major scholarship program for overseas study. I believe the Rotary Club also does the same. If you go to a public library or contact the Foundation Center online, you can search through grants and such, and a librarian can help you narrow your search.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.