harpcolumn

Studying Harp at a United Kingdom (UK) Conservatoire

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Group Forums Harp in college Studying Harp at a United Kingdom (UK) Conservatoire

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    aurelie
    Participant

Hello! I want to study harp at a conservatoire in the UK. Could anyone tell me the differences in the teaching programme m, performance opportunities and the styles of music taught of the UK conservatoires for harp? I enjoy classical and modern repertoire but I have a keen interest in jazz harp as well.

Thank you!

They have numerous schools and teachers. You might consider American schools, some of which have jazz programs.

wil-weten
    Participant

I can’t answer any of your questions, but you may like to research first what would be the possible consequences for you as a EU-citizen if the UK crashes out of the EU at 31 October. To start with, it may have an effect on your right to stay in the UK.

Are you aware that there may be shortages of food and medicine, as well as steep rises in prices. Also, there is a fear of riots.

The risk of a no deal Brexit has never been greater than now.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

If you have a dream of studying in the UK and their schools meet your requirements, then I hope that you pursue it, regardless of the political vicissitudes of their government. Life should always go on. (I personally would not let any negativity stop me.) I hope that some of our UK Harp Column members will answer your questions.

aurelie
    Participant

Thank you for all the replies. Just to clarify,I’ve lived in the UK since I was six months old so Brexit won’t effect my application

Tacye
    Participant

Are you on facebook? The UK Harp Association forum is a good place to contact UK harpists (and worth joining the UKHA if you haven’t). But also when phasing your question I think few harpists will know about all of the programmes to discuss the differences, while many know a lot about one or two specific colleges.

wil-weten
    Participant

Hi Aurélie, I’m really sorry to say, but even though you’ve live in the UK since you were six months old, you still will be effected in other ways than UK citizens.

Have a look at this article in the Guardian of yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/20/eu-citizens-uk-demand-clarification-immigraiton-status-no-deal-brexit

aurelie
    Participant

I’ll definitely have a look at the UKHA page. And I have my permanent residence so Brexit shouldn’t affect my applications.

Thank you all!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.