Saul Davis Zlatkovski

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,386 through 2,400 (of 2,806 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: More Casper Reardon #103457

    He was part of the glorious first classes of Carlos Salzedo, along with Lucile Lawrence, Florence Wightman, Edna Phillips, Alice Chalifoux, Flora Greenwood and several others like William “Tippy” Cameron (“Sister Bill loves to dance” Miss Lawrence quoted.) He played in the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, then moved to New York and started swinging, then died young and suddenly of an undiscovered tumor or cancer or something like that, breaking a lot of hearts. He left a composition behind, in addition to Young Man with a Harp, which I believe Calvin Simmons has, which is in the archives of the Curtis Institute of Music.

    in reply to: Encounters with Famous people #103094

    Ah, the long and short of it.

    in reply to: Salvi harp cart fell apart and smells! #68685

    What price, and what is the design like? I’ve only seen perhaps more recent ones with straight handles, sheeps wool padding, hard wheels.

    If you are into making harp dollies, would you be interested in developing or copying another design?

    in reply to: More Casper Reardon #103454

    Here are some other solo numbers he recorded:

    1]Red McKenzie – “Mean to Me” 12/28/33 IAJRC
    2] Jack Teagarden – “Stars Fell on Alabama” 12/18/34 Br
    3] Bob Terry – “It’s Been So Long” 01/15/36 Decca
    4] Three T’s – “You Turned the Tables On Me” [with Adele Girard] 12/04/34

    in reply to: How many male harp players are there. #166523

    P.S., I was just about your age when I started, the beginning of my sophomore year, and I’d give anything to have started just one year earlier, so don’t waste any time and get started as soon as you can.

    in reply to: How many male harp players are there. #166522

    I know how you feel. Omaha is a lot like Minneapolis was when I wanted to play the harp at your age. There are lots and lots of men who play the harp professionally and otherwise. There is nothing innately feminine about the instrument, it’s what you bring to it or out of it, if that’s your concern. If you’re concerned about peer pressure, don’t be, or have a response prepared, like, “It’s a great way to meet girls” or some such pap. Douglas Rioth is principal harp of the San Francisco Symphony, Richard Turner is with the Winnipeg orchestra, Ed Druzinsky retired from the Chicago Symphony, Dan Levitan is in Bay area orchestras, and more. If you want to look for a male teacher in the future, if there are none in Omaha, you’ll be able to find several qualified teachers around the country.

    The fact that harps may be golden and heavily decorated does not make them feminine, there is nothing innately feminine about decorative art or gold leaf. Basically, a harp is in itself

    The only time I have ever seen harp harmonics written with a diamond-shaped note are when they are the harmonics of the twelfth. Clifford Wooldridge unfortunately introduced a diamond-shaped note to clumsily indicate the octave where they are played in his “edition” of Salzedo’s Variations Sur Un Theme dans le style ancien.

    If harp harmonics are only notated where they are played, then how can you indicate that it is the twelfth or another harmonic to be produced rather than the octave? One would have to invent yet another notation.

    Unfortunately, musical notation is not all about convenience, it is based on tradition and logic and whims of publishers and composers. Salzedo was right to change the notation to make it consistent with other instruments, and to put the emphasis on how it sounds. Perhaps he found he got better results from his students that way. I know that a lot of harpists have not mastered the craft of playing great harmonics.

    Salzedo did create a new view of the harp,

    in reply to: Tone production #86401

    I haven’t had too much trouble as I can’t abide poor tone, and have my ways to get results. I tend to compare it to voice production, if that’s any help. There are mental blocks one has to deal with, to be certain. I’ll be happy to help anyone who can get to Philadelphia.

    in reply to: Very embarrassing #86408

    That’s the challenge, I was thinking of only doing inner voices. I find it impossible to compose a melody to an existing bass line. The soprano always wants to go its own way, won’t cooperate, except for a section in my Nocturne that worked out with an ascending bass line. Still, I think if you avoid leaps of more than a major sixth, it should help. I would do the soprano first using chord tones of the bass (are you given figured bass at all?), then apply my rule to the alto and tenor. No figured bass, you’re on your own. Never had to do that.

    in reply to: have you noticed, so many harpists are nurses? #151371

    I had a terrific student who went off to get a nursing degree. She wanted to try a double major with music, but they wouldn’t allow it, sadly.

    in reply to: Getting Accepted #86421

    Does that mean every student in Great Britain has to take the same compulsory exams? That would never happen here.

    in reply to: Very embarrassing #86406

    I’m not sure how that can happen. Maybe there’s something wrong with the bass line.

    in reply to: Seeking Harp Teacher Around Champaign/Urbana Illinois #86423

    I think Alice Keene and Ann Yeung both give lessons there.

    in reply to: Getting Accepted #86417

    So having a checkbook for tuition doesn’t matter that much?

    Now, I know that many schools/conservatories limit the number of harpists they will accept, so there has to be criteria in place.

    I find it hard to advise a student, not knowing what teachers/schools are looking for. I guess I’ll have to write to each one and ask.

    For instance, are Solfeggietto by CPE Bach and Au Matin by Tournier good contrasting solos? Does the Bach need to be replaced by a longer solo?
    Etcetera.

    in reply to: Very embarrassing #86404

    Hindemith is what we used, and I liked it. It’s a two-volume series, I forget the exact name. Music Theory or something.

    Anyway, the secret is:

    move each voice the SMALLEST possible interval to the next chord tone. That way, you will perhaps never have parallel fifths or anything else forbidden. My professor taught us that in college and it worked like a charm, made voice leading easy as pie. Do you understand what I mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,386 through 2,400 (of 2,806 total)