harpcolumn

Boston-area harp stores/harp teachers

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Boston-area harp stores/harp teachers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Noonan
    Participant

I’m looking for to buy a decent quality harp for a beginner. Currently, I’m leaning towards just buying a Harpsicle online at this point as I’ve been searching for cheap harps and researching this for about a year now with no luck (If you search for my name, you’ll find a post from me from this time last year asking about the Pakistani harps).

Now that I’m making a little more money, I’d like to make a real committment to learning to play the harp. I’m a teacher, so I’m looking for a harp teacher who can work with an older beginner and hopefully accompany a teacher’s schedule (preferably weekend afternoons and an increase of lessons/weekday lessons over the summer).

I’ve been toying with the idea of starting with lessons and playing the harp with the teacher or seeing if I could rent one or use a T accessible practice space that might have a harp. I know there are lots of music programs out here but I’m a bit overwhelmed with teaching, so I’ve kind of given up on research. I would love any and all advice on specific teachers I should contact or what the best way to start learning the harp would be. I’m not someone with a lot of musical training (I can read sheet music and played the flute and the piano as a kid, a little).

Also, how much should I be paying per lesson? I think $50 per lesson might be my cap for now, especially if I’m paying for renting or buying a harp. Thanks!

Tacye
    Participant

Do you consider Salem to be in your local area?

carl-swanson
    Participant

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the Harp Connection no longer rents harps. I don’t know when they stopped. But that’s probably the reason I have been getting so many calls for rentals this year.

Tacye
    Participant

I was going by their website which shows lever harp rentals, I don’t know if they ever rented pedal harps.

Good harp teachers may charge as little as $40 a lesson and as much as over $100, so $50 is aiming toward the low end, just so’s you know. You may get it a little less by taking a shorter lesson.

The Harp Connection also has a teacher referral list.

Kelly Noonan
    Participant

Hi Carl

Apparently the Harp Connection does still rent harps (I’ve been emailing back and forth with them over the past week). I’m looking into their “rent to buy” program for an Lyon and Healy “Ogden”.

I have no idea of the availability of other harps, though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies