Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantNo, but I’m annoyed because I was planning to write a universal harp method. By the way, Bochsa was the first to use that title.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI don’t see why it would have to be taken apart, offhand. My friend is an expert refinisher of antiques, and yes, the problem is removing the previous finish and making sure the new finish doesn’t react with the remnants of the old. They have to be of the same or compatible formulation. I think anyone who does museum-quality restorations could do it, if there is one in your area, or a violin-maker, but you may not need to do anything at all. Let it continue to dry, it can take weeks. Wood and finish dry at different rates. If you polish a harp, it takes weeks to fully dry.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantJoan Mainzer long played on a podium in the Minneapolis Symphony/Minnesota Orchestra. I don’t know how much it helped, but you could see what she was doing. To me, the secondary resonator for the harp is the room you are in. Adding a podium/riser would mainly amplify the bass, I would think, so you would only need it in a heavily carpeted area, or if you are buried behind violin sections in an orchestra, it might help get the sound out a little, or at least people would see how hard you are working.
I think it is more important to concentrate on having better harps built. It’s taken almost 30 years, but my harp now has a tremendously open sound, and in a high-ceilinged church, the treble soars. Of course, there are a few notes I can’t regulate without switching discs, but only a few, actually. I hope the board will not pull up more. It would be nice to get another 20 years out of it, if I can play that much longer. Especially since I can’t foresee being able to buy another one.
Now, here’s a poser: has anyone tried building a harp out of quick-growing, inexpensive woods, like bamboo or rubberwood? Bamboo might not have the right resonance for the board and body, but I would think it would be superb for the column and neck.
And, Carl, I just wonder, how many harps have you made thus far, and are you building them by yourself nowadays?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantAnd you say they can seek paid positions, but do they exist or have to be created, do they have to find the funding to support it themselves, etc.? The Robert Wood Johnson hospital is the only one I have heard of that may have paid positions. The training implies that it is a paid profession, but
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantWhat are CEUs, and what is the training intended to equalize with? And why is there a need for standardization?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI have a Yahoo Group called HarpPhiladelphia. We can do it there.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantIn New York we had professional harp movers or car services with station wagons to call.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantThe first question is, are you going to be able to get paid positions, before paying for a course.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI couldn’t submit the quotes I wanted from the website. Just follow the link given above and see if you don’t find some of it as odd or ridiculous as I did.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI just want to reiterate that I am opposed to the intrusion of a certification process
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantLikewise. I am dismayed that it was deleted, it was the first lively discussion in quite a while.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantNo, and I don’t want to review it in a forum.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI am investigating starting a summer program.
How far would you travel?
What is the longest you would stay if possible? (I think in terms of 6-8 weeks)
How cool or warm should it be in the area?
Does it need to be on or near water?
In a vacation area, urban area, or isolated rural area?
A retreat center, boarding school, campus, or deserted summer camp?
Meals included or make your own?
Parents included or on your own?
Would you come if you were not allowed to bring electronic devices, if all you could do was practice, read books, write letters, play games, go to concerts, listen to music?
What’s the most you could pay per week for everything?
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantYes, harps are not made to be trundled for distances. One or two blocks is a maximum to have in mind. A foot can come off from sliding it across smooth terrazzo floors. Think of harps as crystal goblets and you should be safe.
Saul Davis Zlatkovski
ParticipantI believe it is Mineral Spirits, here, but I don’t know exactly which one.
I think you have all horribly over-reacted. First, she must let the finish/wood dry out thoroughly, before doing anything. Adding more moisture would compound the problem. I have a friend who can compound a perfect polishing/waxing protective/cleaning solution, but it is not cheap.
-
AuthorPosts