harpcolumn

Tone production

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Tone production

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mel Sandberg
    Participant

In my teaching career, such as it has been so far, I have encountered 2 harp students who have seemed to be completely unable to produce more than a pianissimo on the harp.

mr-s

Hi Mel, i am playing the russian way and following the russian method, let me tell you that in russia and so i , practice 10 times Forte, then when play in public we do the real forte, but if you practice mf or P so you cant make the F in public so let the student

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

Mel,

I am not a pedal harp teacher, I teach lever harp.

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Hi Cynthy

Thanks for the useful information.

cynthy-johnson
    Participant

Hi Mel,

OT is an abbreviation for one that has the education and certification and is licensed as an Occupational Therapist.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I have a student with the same soft tone production. One thing I noticed in our first lesson was she was not holding the thumb up as high or closing her fingers all the way into her palm. I know this is really basic, but I think her playing this way before she took a lesson did not develop her muscles correctly. She has the same model lever harp as I do and I showed her just how big a voice it had. Perhaps some muscle exercises? Have her practice the “baby wave” or knead some play-doh. Sounds silly but it really does work to strengthen hand muscles. I just teach the basics of lever harp, being rather new to this myself, so take my advice for what it is worth to you…

Blessings,

Karen

I haven’t had too much trouble as I can’t abide poor tone, and have my ways to get results. I tend to compare it to voice production, if that’s any help. There are mental blocks one has to deal with, to be certain. I’ll be happy to help anyone who can get to Philadelphia.

frances-duffy
    Participant

In my school of playing, there is a two step process…first pressing into the string, then releasing it and closing the fingers into the palm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies