patricia-jaeger

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 950 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Calista, In due course Roslyn Rensch-Noah (now living on St Simons Island in Georgia), retired harpist who wrote wonderful books on the harp and those who played it and taught it, may publish a “family tree” of the harp teachers and their students, reaching back as far as there are any known records. Some of us contributed what we knew and sent it to her.

    Madeline,

    “How old” I think there’s no age requirement, but it would be a good idea to connect with the San Antonio office of the American Federation of Musicians. You can e-mail Sam Folio at: sam@afm.org. There you will find the address, telephone, etc. of that Local. Best is to actually go in and tell them what you told about yourself in this post here. They have all kinds of help for young musicians, and if you decide to join, even more help as you will have contact with many other harp players who do what you wish to do,with friendly advice about repertoire, what fees to ask, and much more. I’m in a different state but am now a “life member” and I owe so much to my membership, for the extremely happy career in music.

    in reply to: Travelling Harp #69649

    Briana,

    in reply to: Options for small straight soundboard pedal harps #68822

    Classic Harps Northwest

    in reply to: Options for small straight soundboard pedal harps #68814

    Gillian, depending on your budget, here are

    in reply to: Finding a teacher and/or other harpists #103625

    Susan, I’ll e-mail you a contact in western Kansas, and hope this helps!

    in reply to: Do I need Music Theory? #82723

    Take a look at the interactive web site: http://www.musictheory.net. this will give you a basic start at no cost. Then consider investing in Book 1 of Music Theory at the Harp, from a set of four workbooks by Kathy Bundock Moore, available from most harp music retailers.

    in reply to: lever harp regulation training #156111

    Frank, either put the name Karen Rokos into your search engine, or go to

    in reply to: Where to rent a small harp for travel? #165789

    Sheila,

    I teach harp and acquired small rental harps over the years to help beginners before they might decide to invest in their own harp, or discontinue the instrument. All of those rental harps were eventually sold, after renting harps for thirty years was just too much trouble, but for that length of time it enabled families to more easily give their children a chance to try harp with little financial strain.

    in reply to: Blisters… #165793

    “…mo matter how much I practice, my fingers don’t blister…..”

    I’m the same, and I think in my case it is because I began violin study before age 4, never stopped, and

    in reply to: Harp covers #69148

    Because I always bring a small (approximately 20″ x 36″) mat to go under the harp in case a venue has a slippery floor, I needed to find a way to bring this along with the rest of the harp

    in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155897

    Almost forgot: Put all of these above

    in reply to: The Harp “Gig Bag” #155896

    Besides the obvious necessities: a rabbit-fur muff with a hand-warmer packet inside; several chunks of candied ginger (gets the circulation going in about 20 minutes): a health bar in case I need extra protein; business cards; 2 pens printed with my contact information, one to give away to the event manager; a blank contract; Tiny memo pad for any phone, hint of a requested piece I should learn, etc.;that special pliers with wire-cutter on the side from the roll-up kit of Lyon and Healy; complete set of extra strings along with tiny scissors and a small snack-size baggie with string anchors; good map of event location

    in reply to: Lyon and Healy Style 17 #69410

    John, bear in mind that a for-profit company giving you an estimate of value is likely to tell you a figure less than what you might get for a sale to a private person.

    in reply to: Teaching/Learning Cross-rhythms? #82804

    Just a few ideas: In the Henriette Renie Complete Method of the Harp, Volume 2, page 189 and following pages, you’ll see examples

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 950 total)