harpcolumn

Blisters…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Blisters…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Clara.elisa Simarro
    Participant

Hello there,
    I’ve been having trouble with blisters on my fingers after studying for too long/hard. What can I do to go on practising?
    Greetings

Nivea used to have a conditioning oil that helped. Now, the best thing would seem to be bag balm. Fill your fingertips with it, then wash off the surface. Take a little break, sand the surface a bit, and avoid glisses/fluxes and lots of loud playing until you skin recovers. If the callous has separated from the skin underneath, it will gradually come to the surface and come off. Then you will be uncomfortable for a while. You have to be always conscious of your skin condition when playing. I avoid doing dishes before playing.

pietra-dekker
    Participant

I know this sounds slightly gross, but my harp teacher told me that if I ever get blisters, to pop it, then dip the blister in methylated spirits, and leave it to dry for a few minutes. This is supposed to harden the blister. Then, you get a nail file, and file back the hard skin to get a nicer tone.
    I am lucky in that no matter how much I practice, my fingers don’t blister, so I’ve never actually tried this method myself. I use the nail file on the calluses that form, though, and that works well.

“…mo matter how much I practice, my fingers don’t blister…..”

I’m the same, and I think in my case it is because I began violin study before age 4, never stopped, and

Drain the blisters with a sterilized needle, then apply NuSkin or Liquid Bandaid

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.