harpcolumn

Travelling Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Travelling Harp

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Briana Gross
    Participant

Hi all –

I’m an amateur/beginner harpist, looking for a small harp to bring on the plane or in the car when I travel (which I do with enough frequency to slow my progress on the harp). I have a (used) Salvi Daphne 40 pedal harp at home, so I think I would probably like a full set of levers on whatever harp I get to give me flexibility in terms of key signatures.

I’ve tried to read all the previous posts about lap harps and traveling harps, and they’ve been very helpful, but I thought I would ask for everyone’s opinion on the top three harps I’ve settled on, just in case there is any more information available. My top choices are:
    -Triplett Zephyr (22 strings, 28″ tall, 4.5 lbs)
    -Blevins Lyra (22 strings, 24.5″ tall, 5 lbs)
    -Lorien Sasha (22 strings, 28″ tall, 5 lbs) – This is available as a kit – has anyone ever built a Lorien harp? What was your experience?

Any experiences with these harps in particular? My impression is that they are all fairly high quality, and it’s probably just a matter of personal choice. They are all pretty much the same price, although if the Lorien Sasha is easy to build it would represent a major savings to do that. If anyone is selling one of these harps, I’m obviously in the market.

I’m also open to other harps in this size and weight range that you might recommend.

Many thanks,
    Briana

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I love my Blevins Lyra. It’s very well-made and has good tone for its size.

Briana,

Briana Gross
    Participant

This is great to hear – thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

rod-wagoner
    Participant

Briana,

Leslie Jabara
    Participant

I have a 22 string Argent Fox and a 25 string Triplett Christina. I have traveled on planes with both: the 22 string to Ireland from the US and the 25 string on various planes across the US.

I like having those extra 3 strings on the 25 string, but I will admit there were times I was sweating going through security and wondering if they’d allow my 25 string on the plane. Luckily, I’ve had no problems.

I do not have specific experience with the Zephyr, but I absolutely LOVE dealing with Triplett. They are great folks and have gone above and beyond any time I’ve had a question. When the Camac lever on my Christina broke, they sent me a new lever, and the appropriate allen wrench to replace it all free of charge.

Briana Gross
    Participant

Thanks so much to everyone for your helpful responses!

Briana Gross
    Participant

Thanks again for all your responses – I was able to purchase a used Triplett Zephyr in great condition.

Leslie Jabara
    Participant

Congratulations on your new harp! Keep us posted on how you like it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.