harpcolumn

Do I need Music Theory?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Do I need Music Theory?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    PassionateCross
    Participant

As a junior in high school, I’ve been playing the harp for three years. I’ve performed in front of my school various times. All I’ve been doing is sheet music reading, which are the basics of music theory. I also plan to to get a pedal harp someday. Moreover, do I need to advance in music theory if I want to play the harp at orchestras?

Karine Benoit
    Participant

Hello, 🙂 Although I have just started learning the harp, I have been playing the piano for 20 years and can more or less answer your question. I’ve started playing the piano with teachers that didn’t really believe in music theory, and I can tell you I wish it was the opposite! Music theory is important, in more than a way. Not only can you learn pieces and read sheet music faster, as you’ll recognize common note /rythym patterns, but it will also improve your overall playing as well as comprehension of the composition.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

YES!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Music Theory teaches you how music actually works. That should be desirable knowledge for anyone who even has a serious interest in music, not to mention who wants to make a living making music.

One day you will need to do something more than just play music off a completely arranged piece of sheet music. If you are going to make music your business then eventually you will need to arrange something, or alter an existing arrangement, or transpose something, or even be asked to improvise off a lead sheet, or asked to come up with an accompaniment to accompany cousin Jeanie who is going to sing at the wedding…

Can you make music without knowing theory? Sure. Just like you can turn on a light without understanding electrical engineering. But once you step out of that basic function you need the knowledge, even if it is just so that you can know the rules because you want to break them all.

Take a look at the interactive web site: http://www.musictheory.net. this will give you a basic start at no cost. Then consider investing in Book 1 of Music Theory at the Harp, from a set of four workbooks by Kathy Bundock Moore, available from most harp music retailers.

Irene C
    Participant

Hello Linden,

I think that you would benefit from music theory.

harp guy
    Participant

I remember when getting my music degree that my Theory professor brought in a study for all of us to look at. I don’t remember who it was from or where it was from, but it was basically the top 5 things that post-graduates wished they had changed about their musical education.

The top answer was: more music theory instruction, and the second was: more music history instruction. I don’t particularly remember the rest of it, but what really struck me were those two things. It was because of this study that I really beefed up on those areas and doing so has served me well as a professional.

You don’t have to study it until college, but you should be familiar with all the basics, identifying chords, reading music accurately, and you should get a general knowledge about music from books like music encyclopedias.

PassionateCross
    Participant

Thanks Karine! Looks like music theory really is helpful! I can’t wait to tackle those complicated pieces and have better comprehension. That was helpful information. I may have to switch to a more musical theory-antiquated teacher haha!

Thanks Tony! Wow I’m far from knowing how to alter an existing arrangement to fit as an accompaniment. Looks like I have to start learnin’ music theory. Plus I like your comparison that turning on a light without knowing its mechanics is the same as playing without knowing music theory.

Thanks Patricia! Wow this website is really helpful.Thank you for referencing helpful resources! I’ll definitely get started on these.

Thanks Irene! Music is a language itself?! That made me think out of the box more. I hope to be like you and the others haha! Advanced in playing and music theory.

Thanks harp guy! Wow, top 5 things that post-graduates wished they had changed about their musical education? Interesting.. looks like a “must have”. So I must have more music theory instruction and more music history instruction. Thanks for telling me about this harp dude!

Thanks Saul! You’re right,getting a general knowledge of music and being familiar with the basics is definitely important. Can’t wait for college! Thanks!

Irene C
    Participant

Your welcome Linden!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies