harpcolumn

The Harp “Gig Bag”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists The Harp “Gig Bag”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    brianna-halpern
    Participant

Every harpist has that bag they take with them everywhere their harp goes. Call it the string bag, the gig bag, or whatever you want. What do you keep in your “survival kit?” I’m curious what kind of obscure things you could not live without on your outings with your harp. The extra strings, tuner with a pickup, and tuning key are a given. I have seen all kinds of crazy things come out of harpists bags so I thought this might be fun 🙂

emma-graham
    Participant

Door stops x2
    Spare tights (pantyhose for those outside the UK!)
    Elastic straps to hold music onto stand on windy days
    Nail clippers
    Tissues
    Sewing kit
    Clip on light
    Sign saying “please do not touch”
    micropore tape
    4B pencil
    Aspirin
    WD40
    Photo of the dog

Besides the obvious necessities: a rabbit-fur muff with a hand-warmer packet inside; several chunks of candied ginger (gets the circulation going in about 20 minutes): a health bar in case I need extra protein; business cards; 2 pens printed with my contact information, one to give away to the event manager; a blank contract; Tiny memo pad for any phone, hint of a requested piece I should learn, etc.;that special pliers with wire-cutter on the side from the roll-up kit of Lyon and Healy; complete set of extra strings along with tiny scissors and a small snack-size baggie with string anchors; good map of event location

Almost forgot: Put all of these above

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Small recording device.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

I also add a doorstop in multiple sizes for different doors. I have a nifty pink one that’s shaped like an apostrophe that I picked up at a hardware store. Before that I carried three different sized doorstops, for holding doors open while moving my harp.

tonie-ogimachi
    Participant

Bug repellent (plastic loops that you can attach to clothes or music stand for outdoor gigs, and a roll of gaffers tape.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I talked about mine here:

http://barbarabrundage.com/2011/02/23/part-6-ipad-cases-for-the-gig/

(My harp case has a string pocket so I don’t have to worry about those.)

randal
    Participant

I find the packet of “baby wipes” is the gigging musician’s best friend

tony-morosco
    Participant

These days my gig bag is much lighter thanks to the addition of an IPad. I have put almost all my music in there, it has an electronic tuner, several apps that can record, and the ability to look up almost any reference material I need.

Some of the other things I carry I haven’t seen mentioned are a small flashlight, a bottle of water, a Swiss army knife, and a small first aid kit.

I can’t help it, I was a boyscout once.

Plus all the typical stuff, including strings. Lot and lots and lots of strings.

kay-lister

Emma – I’m curious, why WD40?

Kay

Sylvia Clark

Very interesting topic!

emma-graham
    Participant

Hee hee! WD40 is a tribute to my Dad who never left home without it!! If anything is squeaking or sticking (my harp trolley wheel just last weekend for example) it frees it up. Good for damp spark plugs in the car too. Wouldn’t spray it anywhere on the harp though just in case I did some damage!

adam-b-harris
    Participant

chocolate. great idea I will put that on the list.

mike-c
    Participant

How do you trust something that has a limited battery life ? Or could potentially fall victim to a software glitch ? I’m a computer programmer by trade, and harp amateur for

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies