Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantThanks for your kind words, Catherine. I’m really pleased that you’re enjoying my book. Mike
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantLooks like an Aoyama. I think it’s called the Kerry here in the U.K.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantI think this is a fantastic and brave development – I hope those who doubt this move will suspend their preconceptions and embrace these instrument. Of course there is a place for timber harps but it’s also necessary to develop instruments and the construction process and new materials are constantly being applied to harp (mostly unseen). Carbon fibre harps have been made before, some very successfully, and the weight reduction, strength and tone will hopefully surprise those who are unconvinced. As there is more than one way to ‘skin a pig,’ there are many ways to make harps (and materials from which they can be made). The more variety available the better.
Mike
October 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm in reply to: Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate #73304Mike Baldwin
ParticipantHi Richard,
Have a look at the London Gazette online. All bankruptcies were recorded there. Barry was the second harp maker I’ve found in the Fleet prison. Will dig out my reference when I have a minute.
Regards
Mike
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantNever had a problems switching between different levers, blades (my clarsach is a lovely Sanderson Taylor blade harp), hooks or single or double action harps.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantDown for sharp.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantI am a big fan of Peter Brough’s levers.
November 21, 2009 at 12:43 pm in reply to: Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate #73302Mike Baldwin
ParticipantI think you’re right Bonnie.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantDear Katerina,
Stolen harps have occasionally turned up at harp dealerships and manufacturers in the past. The theives often claim they’re a family heirloom and want to sell.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantYou’d be amazed what can be strung and played.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantHad an oportunity to try the Pilgrim
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantHaven’t got date information.
Mike Baldwin
ParticipantHi Carolyn,
I think Pilgrim Harps in the UK has one at the moment.
October 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm in reply to: Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate #73292Mike Baldwin
ParticipantHi Dwyn,
You’re kind of right there. As far as I can tell Erard was making his perfected mechanism, his 1810 patent (No. 3332) which seems to have gone into production in 1811. The other makers (on the whole) were making Erard’s 1808 patent (No. 3170) at least initially. The 1810 mechanism with a deeper neck and external linkages is more stable and stronger resisting tension better.
It’s possible that Erard licensed his 1808 patent to other makers as he still owned the rights. The 1808 patent was just as successful as the later (improved) 1810 patent. I owned a Stumpff in which the imperfect mechanism still worked like a treat and know of many harps with this mechanism that are still in regular used today.
As far as the value of these harps go it does seem to be what someone is prepared to pay. I saw a pair of beautiful Erat single actions go at Bonhams recently for little over £2000 each – well under what I’d seen before and expected.
Mike
October 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm in reply to: Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate #73291Mike Baldwin
ParticipantThanks Bonny,
You’ve given me a new target – Not heard of Schwartz before. Will have to add him to my list to check out.
Regards
Mike
-
AuthorPosts