harpcolumn

Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Unusual Antique Harp with JFB/1847 carved in top and Barry on the Brass Plate

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Dwyn .
    Participant

Mike:

I think Stumpff is one of those lesser-known harpmakers who was actually really good.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I hope you are using MUCH THINNER gauge strings on this old instrument and that you are tuning it well below A 440.

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

If it’s a double-action harp it should be tuned in C-flat, not C-major, and it would be no harm to make the A natural (which sounds when the A pedal is in the middle notch) still be below A440 – which is the modern pitch for that note.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Not to worry.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking about putting my harp on ebay for sale.

ROSEMARY COOK
    Participant

Hi Scott,

A little late in the day, however the answer to your question of the who JFB is on your harp is almost certainly James Ralph Barry who was the brother of Alexander Meek Barry born 25/09/1776. They were two of six children born to James Barry & Agnes Meek. Alexander was the most well known of the family as he married Ann Susanna Buchinger daughter of Joseph Buchinger instrument maker to the Duke of Clarence. They had shops in Frith Street and The Strand in London and were very active in the music world and would certainly have had connections to the Royalty.

ROSEMARY COOK
    Participant

Hello Scott,

A little late in the day, however to answer your question, almost certainly JFB would have been the brother of Alexander Meek Barry – James Ralph Barry, both children of James Barry and Agnes Meek. James was born in 1776 one of six children.

Alexander was the best known of them as he was married to Ann Maria Buchinger daughter of Joseph Buchinger instrument maker to the Duke of Clarence, both had shops in Frith Street and The Strand in London.

The Buchinger musical genes appear to have come from Matthias Buchinger who was born in 1774 in Anspach, Germany, Google him for a surprise! He came from Germany when the Hanovarian George I came to Britain and was installed as King of Britain.

Matthias was my Great Grandfather eight times removed and both myself and my daughter are professional musicians. So there you have it.

One last thing, if you do pick this post up I would love a picture of the harp if you still have it!

Rosemary Cook.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,

Thank you so much for the information.

Mike Baldwin
    Participant

I think you’re right Bonnie.

Richard Huggett
    Participant

Hello,

On his daughter Emma’s marriage on 17 Dec 1841 at St Marylebone’s church, Alexander Meek Barry was described as an architect, so that would bear out the suggestion by Mike Baldwin that he did not resume his harp and lyre making career.

Mike Baldwin
    Participant

Hi Richard,

Have a look at the London Gazette online. All bankruptcies were recorded there. Barry was the second harp maker I’ve found in the Fleet prison. Will dig out my reference when I have a minute.

Regards

Mike

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies