Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162124
    Liam M
    Participant

    LOL!!

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162122
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey I did not round off and actually do not recommend it. The joint I do not believe would survive it and your board should be looking at ~500lb. of total tension.

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162163
    Liam M
    Participant

    Great site I have it bookmarked now.

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162161
    Liam M
    Participant

    I am Mike.. Modifying a string wrapping jig I built to hold the sound board and using an oatmeal can as a simple resonator. I’ll try and get off a few pictures this weekend.

    If you find any good books, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162159
    Liam M
    Participant

    Correct Mike, and the tensions of my 22 string Clarsach range from 11 to 28 lb.

    in reply to: Concern! #162183
    Liam M
    Participant

    Concur Barbara. Disassembly is required. The problem becomes where the hardware joins with the wood. Dressing that tight area is practically impossible.

    in reply to: Liam — Dreamsinger finishing question #162206
    Liam M
    Participant

    Go raibh math agat!!

    in reply to: Concern! #162179
    Liam M
    Participant

    Molly

    This may be surprising, but I believe a total refinish would be more economical then a spot blend.

    in reply to: Mark on Harp #162211
    Liam M
    Participant

    What is your original finish?

    in reply to: Liam — Dreamsinger finishing question #162204
    Liam M
    Participant

    I DO’d the cutouts in a dark walnut which set them off nicely. The rest is Natural DO.

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162156
    Liam M
    Participant

    Mike…. Unwieldy is quite the mild term. Hence the sound box in front!

    The second string idea originated to combat the brass plate bending excessively. A thicker plate lost significant resonant quality. And side by side would not address the structural issue. I also toyed with the second string being three octaves higher, another interesting sound… Sympathetic string?

    This is a work in progress and I have hit on another idea of actually using multiple sound boards of progressive sizes and thicknesses. I can then use wooden framing to augment the structural strength of each sound board. Also the size will be more appropriate to the frequency of the strings attached. My observation is the average wire string has ~10-12 Lbs of tension, so my thought is to limit each board load to ~50 lbs or 4 strings.

    I have torn down my original jig and am pursuing this new direction now.

    in reply to: Secondary resonator for the harp #162151
    Liam M
    Participant

    Mike you certainly have my respect. Great job!!

    in reply to: Liam — Dreamsinger finishing question #162202
    Liam M
    Participant

    Ahhhh Audrey you made me feel good!! I finally have discovered a benefit to my lack of playing ability!! I can destroy a tune on either shoulder!!

    Actually though, I went to the left shoulder sometime back, just more comfortable to me.

    in reply to: Liam — Dreamsinger finishing question #162200
    Liam M
    Participant

    Zithers!! I recommend against using any power tools to set your zithers and remember to insert them such that you will go in further as you wrap and tighten the string.

    Aslo, be very careful to not get oil or wax into a Zither hole. Those pins are threaded and rely on friction to hold their tension.

    I did a lot of modification in this area, part by intent, I wanted blued pins), and part in recovery from a mistake that I made.

    I would suggest you take a block of hardwood, cherry if you can find it, and practice with a Zither until you get used to them.

    in reply to: Liam — Dreamsinger finishing question #162199
    Liam M
    Participant

    Hi Audrey.

    My Bard is touring the USPS right now… If it likes that I might send it on a Fedex tour next year!!

    For yours, String tension holds it all together quite well. You will find an impressive total pressure.

    As to sanding, a lot depends on your final finish. If you are going Danish Oil, you want to go very smooth. I finish with an 800 grit before I go to 0000 steel wool and then a tack cloth it three times, rinsing my tack cloth completely each time. Between DO applications, I hit it with the 0000 steel wool and occasionally do a mineral spirit rub down.

    The soundbaord I left rougher than the body and arch.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 294 total)