Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162118
    Liam M
    Participant

    It has not arrived yet and I am traveling. Knowing myself I will look at it for days before I decide how to treat it.

    I am looking forward to it though!

    I am finding though I have a much pleasure, if not more in building, as I do in playing… And someday I have a very radical idea I will try.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162116
    Liam M
    Participant

    Quick tip Audrey… I just found a product last month that is wonderful!

    Hard As Hoof

    in reply to: I’m going to be playing on national TV! #162012
    Liam M
    Participant

    Congratulations

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162114
    Liam M
    Participant

    Typical engineer, I was uncomfortable with the paired stringing concept for the simple reason of the loss of string when you pop one.

    in reply to: Concern! #162167
    Liam M
    Participant

    Be careful. Finished woods can be quite tricky to restore the original finish. You must test first to determine what the original…(Or later).. finish might be. Then you must address the problem from that.

    I would personally be inclined to go to total restore where you rub in the original finish to preserve the patina and then come back from there… but your piece is an antique… and that will effect the value. A partial restore would be harder, but it is possible.

    My experience is fine boatyards, rather then furniture restorers are your best source of information. Yachts carry an amazing amount of fine joinery and see extremely adverse conditions. Their refinishers are usually far better versed then the furniture restorers and can better evaluate what you have.

    in reply to: Wire strung harps #162388
    Liam M
    Participant

    I found you can “Shape” your nails with a file. Leaving the finger pad on the nylon string side free by filing the nail “Away” from that side.

    I am however moving solely to wire. The Clarsach sings in my voice, so my nails will no longer be an issue. I am not yet accomplished enough to afford the difference in techniques and need to devote myself to one or the other, so wire it tis.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162112
    Liam M
    Participant

    Thank you Audrey… She did come out well.

    As to my impression….well my fingers have found their dance floor!

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162109
    Liam M
    Participant

    in reply to: Buying a new harp #162494
    Liam M
    Participant

    And a valuable two pence they are indeed!

    Audrey, my son is a reasonable guitarist… You would have laughed yourself silly had you seen it when he came to visit Da and there he was with my Minstrel, Playing it sideways and upside down like a guitar!!

    in reply to: Buying a new harp #162491
    Liam M
    Participant

    make that “Minstrel <$300.00″!!

    in reply to: Buying a new harp #162490
    Liam M
    Participant

    Hello Jenny and welcome to the wonder of fingers dancing in Heaven.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162106
    Liam M
    Participant

    Well the Danish Oil does come in staining versions… in fact I highlight my sound holes with walnut DO and the rest is natural DO. As DO in the more concentrated forms, does fill… I am not sure if putty is needed…

    The soundboard you only do finishing sanding in prep for the DO application. Extremely fine grit and very light so I doubt the birch is in any danger.

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162104
    Liam M
    Participant

    Mineral SPIRITS!! We are not trying to give it a laxative!!!

    Ach!!

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162103
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey,

    Ahh the Cherry is beautiful!!

    in reply to: Wire harps and sound holes #162101
    Liam M
    Participant

    I will be happy to help any way that I can.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 294 total)