harpcolumn

Wire harps and sound holes

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Wire harps and sound holes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Liam M
    Participant

Typical engineer, I was uncomfortable with the paired stringing concept for the simple reason of the loss of string when you pop one.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Same here.

Liam M
    Participant

Quick tip Audrey… I just found a product last month that is wonderful!

Hard As Hoof

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I’ll have to check it out!

Liam M
    Participant

It has not arrived yet and I am traveling. Knowing myself I will look at it for days before I decide how to treat it.

I am looking forward to it though!

I am finding though I have a much pleasure, if not more in building, as I do in playing… And someday I have a very radical idea I will try.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Did you round off the edge where your soundboard meets the soundbox, or leave it square? (Tony’s finished the initial rough sanding, and now we’re refining things).

Audrey

Karen Johns
    Participant

Audrey,

Don’t mean to jump in, but when I built my Limerick I rounded off both sides of the soundboard. Easier on the arms when playing, hard square edges tend to chafe…On a side note, are you set on using brass strings? Mine are steel and not only are they stronger, they have a beautiful tone. In my opinion they are a nice alternative.

Good luck, can’t wait to see it finished!

Karen

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Yes, I definitely want brass.

Liam M
    Participant

Audrey I did not round off and actually do not recommend it. The joint I do not believe would survive it and your board should be looking at ~500lb. of total tension.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I’m remaining flexible about stringing (one thing I’m learning about the wire-strung harp is that adaptability and experimentation are going to be part of my life from now on!).

Liam M
    Participant

LOL!!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Here’s a woodworking question I hope you can help us with.

Tony’s finished the initial, heavy sanding and is now working his way down with lighter grades of sandpaper.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Is he sanding with the grain of the wood? What grade sandpaper is he on now? I had trouble with this too, especially with the Limerick, which is walnut. Lots of swirly knots in this wood made it hard to sand with the grain.

Karen

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Yes, he is sanding with the grain…I’m not sure what grade of sandpaper he’s on now, though…I can ask him this evening.

We have a similar issue re the knots…there aren’t many, but they do seem to make the sanding harder

Karen Johns
    Participant

Sanding really is the “bear” of the whole process, in my opinion. I actually finished off my Voyageur with 500 grit (used for metal) sandpaper and it literally polished the wood. Maybe the scratches he is uncovering might be from an earlier coarse grit? I’m no expert wordworker, but I did discover that little scratches disappear when the finish is applied. If you can catch your fingernail in it, though, you’re going to want to sand those out.

Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.