Liam M

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 294 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The birth of a harp #160767
    Liam M
    Participant

    Audrey,
    How is he doing?

    in reply to: Pointer Finger Player #161811
    Liam M
    Participant

    Liath, “Fiendish” is it now?

    And here my wee fingers were enjoying the natural position of the wire after straining so hard to obtain the hitch hiker pose of the nylon & gut!!

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160121
    Liam M
    Participant

    WOW!!!

    Michael you had a Yugo also?

    in reply to: Are Pakistani Harps still as bad as people say? #160117
    Liam M
    Participant

    Merry CHristmas SS.

    in reply to: My Musicmaker Harps #161950
    Liam M
    Participant

    Very Very Nice, And I love the tapestry behind them!

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161879
    Liam M
    Participant

    Would love to see your pictures. Walnut is a hard wood, I winder which is harder? Cherry is also quite tough, I have carved both.

    I don’t paint my strings. I use blue and red sharpie markers and I just color the ends, about 3cm or so. Like you, the colored fingers drove me nuts. I already get enough looks because of my nails, having them red & blue makes it worse.

    You have sold me, I will be going all steel for sure.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161876
    Liam M
    Participant

    Thanks Karen!!

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161874
    Liam M
    Participant

    Karen,

    I keep looking at Musicmakers and seriously investigated their Limerick in wire when I first decided to go to wire. I became very cautious when I saw that their dimensions were the same for wire as nylon. The physics simply tell me this should not be done and I backed away.

    I would be very interested to know if anyone has successfully built and used a wire strung Limerick.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161870
    Liam M
    Participant

    And here you have my now dear friend Audrey whom I have come to like quite a bit. She’s right, the Paki’s can be a crapshoot. I was lucky I guess in that while mine was used, it was well cared for and I am afraid I am more of an engineer then a musician, so I promptly took it apart and put it back together!

    Sound wise, Mike has done some amazing work with a resonator box on one and I have played with the stringing quite a bit.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161866
    Liam M
    Participant

    Oh no, the PHSO debate one more time!!

    Kim, I now have a very dear friend that I debated quite heatedly on this issue.

    Pakis are cheap and for some, a good entry level harp. Others do not feel that way.

    I started with a Paki, it served it’s function for me and now I am happily plinking on a Clarsach and my grandchildren are starting with the Paki.

    I know my Paki is not a concert grand. I also know I was sucessfully able to regulate and srting it such that the sound was acceptable.

    As my true preference turned out to be wire, I am quite happy I never invested more in a conventional strung folk harp then what i paid for the used Paki. Had my leaning been more to conventional, I might have regretted it… but after watching my grandkids sit in front of me as we match notes up and down the scale, I am glad they are not “Boinging the strings” on a more expensive instrument.

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161862
    Liam M
    Participant

    LOLOL!!

    in reply to: harp came without tuning key #161859
    Liam M
    Participant

    Lani,
    Actually my grandson appears to have perfect pitch!! Sure doesn’t come from me!!

    Your tuning wrench went off today, USPS.

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160765
    Liam M
    Participant

    Send me an address to Columcille@cableone.net and I’ll drop one in the mail this evening.

    On your sliding pin,

    in reply to: The birth of a harp #160763
    Liam M
    Participant

    Just check the pin diameter diameter and match it Audrey and you’ll do fine. I replaced all mine with blued pins because I prefer the look. I also bored out all the holes and plugged them with Spruce dowels which I left slightly proud and then drilled for the zithers.

    in reply to: New harpist= 14 year old ! #161708
    Liam M
    Participant

    Brandon,

    Welcome to the forum.

    Brandon… Let me tell you a bit about being a boy and later a man, been there done that.

    When I was a teen, I loved sculpture. And I loved to spend hours in an art museum drinking in the beauty of the art. I also loved cars and I had a rather extensively modified and customized car that I had worked on for over three years. Actually in it’s way, it was sculpture, I had reformed various parts of the body and created a work of art.

    Of course everyone knew my car. One day at school, I was asked what my car was doing parked outside the art museum the previous Saturday.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 294 total)