Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72863
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I’m curious about this statement. I have two harps made of walnut and neither one of them sounds “muddy” to my ears. Very rich in the bass, lots of sustain, and bright with a fair amount of attack in the upper octaves. Maybe this statement is in reference to the sustain?

    And yes, if it is only finished in walnut, I can’t see where that would effect the sound. Maybe there is another factor in play here besides the wood.

    Karen

    in reply to: Your favorite kind of music to play? favorite pieces? #106402
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yup, just confirms what I already have thought before- having a piano background is a HUGE advantage when learning harp. You already have the bass clef learned, so sight reading is much easier, and you also have a strong background in chords, plus your hands are already used to going in different directions at the same time! I wish I would have taken piano, I know I would be a lot farther along than I am now.

    Well, now that it’s the end of summer I have almost got ‘Summer Rain’ by Frank Voltz down! LOL Had a curve ball thrown at me though- wound up working a LOT more than I planned these past few months (like 50+ hours per week) so not much time left at the end of the day for the harp. At this rate I’ll have my Christmas music learned by Easter! ;-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156650
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    And you’ve only been playing since May?? That is astounding! How much do you practice, like 5+ hours a day? Really very good- perhaps you are a virtuoso in the making! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158452
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Barbara,

    I just bought your arrangements of Claire De Lune & The Swan off of Sylvia Woods Harp Center website. Love the convenience of instant PDF files! :-) Looking forward to many wonderful hours practicing these…

    Karen

    in reply to: books for daily exercises and music theory #158419
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Two books I have came to mind: Sylvia Woods Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for Folk Harp and Deborah Friou’s Exercises for Agility and Speed. I also like Salzedo’s Conditioning Exercises.

    Sylvia’s book is nice for figuring out left-hand patterns when all you have is a lead sheet with chords. She also explains how to figure out chords if you only have a melody line. She gives several examples of different patterns in different time signatures as well.

    Karen

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158445
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Anytime I can help, just let me know! ;-)

    A word about those Preludes…if it is new and

    in reply to: Dusty’s and Preludes #158441
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    But what about your portability issue? Wouldn’t getting a pedal harp complicate this? Or even the Prelude- they weigh upwards of 40 lbs.

    The total value of my three harps is around $13,000, but I would never trade them in for a used pedal harp. I’d feel confined to just one instrument, one voice. But that’s just me, and I’ve never been interested in pedal harps. I still feel that you may find you are a multi-harp person: at least one for performance and one for portability. At least this way you don’t have to make up your mind on just one! ;-)

    Can you rent two at a time? Or buy one and rent another? Thoughts anybody?

    Karen

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158403
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Good thing I didn’t post with just

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83702
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Perhaps you should give a basic phone call to a basic harp instructor before you basically slam everyone on this forum for not being able to answer your basic question basically 3 hours after posting this. Just saying….

    Karen

    in reply to: Is there a good fingering video? #83701
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I can’t speak for everyone here, but for myself I cross-under going up a scale, and cross-over going down. Anchoring the finger seems to be the best way to not lose your way.

    in reply to: building plans for lap harp #73486
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    http://www.harpkit.com

    Musicmaker’s sell blueprints for all models of their harps except the Voyageur. They also have a book on Harp Building written by the owner Jerry Brown for sale.

    Karen

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156628
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Renate,

    Love all your harps and the songs you played on them! They all have very distinctive voices as well, but I have to say I like the Morley the best. Looks and sound, very nice harp, and the fact you learned Six Ribbons by ear is icing on the cake! :-) Would love the music to this haunting song, btw. Are you willing to share?

    Karen

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158399
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    My Dragonheart has an octave of gut strings, the next set above the bass wound wire (B-B). The rest are nylon. I could have requested more gut strings but I don’t trust them in the upper octaves after reading and seeing how easily they break. Plus the expense- no thank you! Not worth the supposed nicer sound (which I really haven’t noticed).

    The Dragonheart pretty much has my full attention now! :-) I’m trying to acclimate myself to the different shape of the soundbox. Every harp is different and there will always be a “breaking in” period. At least that is what I keep telling myself to help with the guilt over neglecting the other two! ;-)

    The Voyageur also needs a new set of strings, it just

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158397
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Not really. I’m dealing with medium-high (Dragonheart) to medium (Voyageur) to medium wire(Limerick). If I were going from low tension to high I think there would be more of an issue, but these tensions are fairly compatible, especially between the Limerick and Dragonheart. The wire makes my fingers a little more sore like the tighter upper strings of the Dragonheart. All three harps are super-responsive so I don’t feel like I have to pull more on one or the other.

    in reply to: Where Have You Played Your Harp? #107670
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Now that sounds like fun! :-)

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 542 total)