Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My new custom Pratt Chamber Harp #72915
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Beautiful harp! Is that figured cherry wood on the soundbox and pillar?

    Congrats!

    in reply to: Wedding Minimums #149565
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    If you let the bride figure out what she wants to pay, I guarantee you a low fee! LOL

    in reply to: Unfair Competition? #149457
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Diane,

    You just pretty much summed up the whole problem with the American economy. Harpists in Walmart? Yeah, it could happen. After all, we already have harps and parts for harps being made in China. This is where we as consumers need to take personal responsibility, IMO.

    Karen

    in reply to: Thug sound on string #73562
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Does it happen when the lever is engaged only?

    in reply to: Wedding Minimums #149560
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Saul,

    Go right ahead and tell the bride she should spend as much on music as the flowers. Let me know how that works for you.

    Maybe beforehand though you should check with her florist (and hope it isn’t Thrifty florist or even

    in reply to: Unfair Competition? #149453
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Carl,

    I was quoting what Saul said in his earlier post, not yours. But I believe it was you who stated something similar about the cost of flowers in an earlier topic about one-line replies to the response “Wow, that’s expensive!” in regards to wedding harpist fees. I believe

    in reply to: Unfair Competition? #149449
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yes, Carl, I do understand that perspective of haggling- we experience it

    in reply to: Unfair Competition? #149447
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    And here we go with the flower remarks again regarding weddings! Why even say something like that? How about they could do with less food, or less expensive clothes, etc.? I happen to be a Certified Florist (as my main job) who has to worry from month to month whether I’ll still have a job, thanks to the economy. Believe me, my industry needs NO help from harpists undercutting the importance of flowers. You may think them frivolous, Saul, but to me they put food on my family’s table.

    Karen

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158379
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I’m with Michael- don’t own a pedal harp, and don’t EVER want one. They just don’t suit me, and I really don’t understand what the fuss is all about. Frankly, I don’t even like the way they look. But that is just me, and everyone has different tastes.

    I have three harps, and love each one. My wire-strung Limerick and

    in reply to: Some Neat Old Stuff #107785
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Wow, Saul! Thanks for sharing! I’ve added these links to my favorites- very interesting ;-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158546
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I don’t think you’ll have to worry about the height as much as you think. The high end of the harp is at the bass, and honestly, how often do you have to flip levers on the fly at that end? The neck dips down substantially after that so I think you’ll be fine. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp Storage #71336
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I wonder how many of us here have played flute in the past? I still play flute and have a 20+ year old Yamaha 385. It seems like flute and harp tends to partner well, and it is interesting to see so many of us multi-instrumentalists here! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158540
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Gwydion has a black walnut neck, pillar, feet, and soundbox. Curly maple overlay on the spruce/basswood soundboard. The neck overlay has that wonderful triangle of ancient Kauri outlined by more curly maple. Full Truitt levers, gold hardware,

    in reply to: Another new harp #107795
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Very sharp and stylish! Really makes an impression! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158538
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Leslie,

    I received my gorgeous 38-string custom Heartland Dragonheart just this summer! I’ve named him ‘Gwydion’ and although he is not near as tall as your harp, his voice is mighty! Size in this respect does not make the difference in volume. But your Laurel Leaf is beautiful and I am sure will sound great. I’ve listened to a couple of Webster’s before and they have very good projection. And yes, I agree totally about supporting American-made products. This is one of the many reasons I chose Truitt levers for all three of my harps, as they are also made in America. Not to mention they are of the highest quality. :-)

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 542 total)