Dusty’s and Preludes

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    deb-l on #158434

I know .. another thread about my harp rental dilemmas.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #158435

You know, Deb, I think you’re at the point where you have to let your heart decide. You’ve done the research; now go play those harps and pick the one that speaks to you, whichever model it may happen to be. 🙂

Participant
    deb-l on #158436

thank you for the encouragement Barbara.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #158437

Yes, that’s my arrangement, and yes, t’s possible on a prelude. I was using a prelude(38 string version) when I did that arrangement. I always check everything on that harp to be sure it’s possible, although it’s a bit quicker on a low headed harp like a dusty.

Participant
    deb-l on #158438

that is an incredibly beautiful arrangement.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #158439

You’re welcome, Deb. One thing about a harp like the prelude: You might find it helps to sit a bit higher than you might otherwise do, in order to be closer to the levers. (I don’t bother, but for some people it’s a help.)

When trying out the harps, see if you can get arranged so that you’re comfortable for playing but you can also reach up to the low G lever without having to get up off your bench or do a lot of wiggling around to make the grab. If you can do that, you should be fine with about 99% of the literature (in all musical styles) that requires lever changes.

Participant
    deb-l on #158440

thanks Barbara, I have a piano bench that I should be able to adjust to the right height.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #158441

But what about your portability issue? Wouldn’t getting a pedal harp complicate this? Or even the Prelude- they weigh upwards of 40 lbs.

The total value of my three harps is around $13,000, but I would never trade them in for a used pedal harp. I’d feel confined to just one instrument, one voice. But that’s just me, and I’ve never been interested in pedal harps. I still feel that you may find you are a multi-harp person: at least one for performance and one for portability. At least this way you don’t have to make up your mind on just one! ;-)

Can you rent two at a time? Or buy one and rent another? Thoughts anybody?

Karen

Participant
    unknown-user on #158442

Deb, didn’t you return the Egan due to it being too big and not portable enough, and the room you have to keep it in because of the wood heater

Participant
    deb-l on #158443

yes Natty, I wouldn’t be considering a Prelude or a dusty except a couple things have changed, new furniture, rearranged, so I have a space in my living room, and my daughter is getting an appartment so I will have a bird room.

Participant
    deb-l on #158444

Karen,

Participant
    Karen Johns on #158445

Anytime I can help, just let me know! ;-)

A word about those Preludes…if it is new and

Participant
    deb-l on #158446

thanks for the advice on the strings Karen, good to hear they settle in and it diminishes.

Participant
    Donna O on #158447

Deb,
    Just to let you know, Preludes come with nylon strings in the first two octaves.

Ann on #158448

I’m with Karen. Just my personal opinion, but it really sounds like your heart won’t be satisfied with an all-around harp. There will be too many compromises, even with a Dusty. You might just be a multi-harp person, as she suggests. Your challenge now is not beating your harp(s) into the shape of your budget, but rather, shaping the budget to fit your necessary harps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.