Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Thuddy top register? #149295
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Could be the recording settings, especially if you are only noticing it when you hear the playback and not while you’re playing the harp. I’ve noticed when I record my harp it sounds different than what either I or my audience actually hear. Something about the mike seems to pick up the more strident overtones in those upper registers. When I amp my harp I really notice it too- I have to turn down the treble to almost zero to compensate.

    Karen

    in reply to: Warming up . . . the harp? #107536
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    It’s too bad they couldn’t come up with different levers. But if you tune in C, wouldn’t that cause more stress on the E’s & B’s to begin with? Grant it this solution eliminates the need to flip the levers, but if you want to play in the key of F you’ll be stuck. Hate to see you sacrifice key versatility- I would wait to see what the technician says if it were me.

    Was the Ogden new as well?

    Karen

    in reply to: Heartland Harps – Pros and Cons #155697
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, my next harp (here I go again!) will be a

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157687
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Again, I am with you (and starting to think we may be kindred spirits! LOL). I also play other instruments- hammered dulcimer, flute, irish whistle,bodhran, and voice. Funny thing is, I’ve only named the hammered dulcimer (Sylvia). Maybe it’s more common in stringed instruments? Or perhaps larger instruments?

    I can’t part with any of my instruments, any more than I could cut off a limb. I sold my very first harp, a lap harp I had built from a kit more than a year ago. I still think about that little harp and wonder how she’s doing, and wish I had her back. :-(

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157684
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I’m feeling the same type of guilt towards my Voyageur ‘Ceridwen’, as I play Gwydion side-by-side. I’ve really been neglecting her lately, and still need to replace her strings. :-( You are not alone in feeling this way, Deb.

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp Naming #157682
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Naming your harp is really a matter of personal choice. I don’t think naming your harp is as important as playing it, but for me, giving a pet name to my harp makes it more “alive” to me. I’ve named my vehicles before as well. If I think about it, my first exposure to hearing about a harp having a name was in the book “The Mists of Avalon” where Kevin Harper referred to his harp as “My Lady”. I don’t know if this is based on actual ancient tradition or just the author’s fancy, but it certainly displayed the affection between harper and harp. Perhaps naming a harp or other instrument is a way we use to get in touch of our own personal muse…

    Karen

    in reply to: Getting my harp!!!!!!!! #107509
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yes, but if she plays it in bad health it may very well heal her! ;-)

    Congrats!

    Karen

    in reply to: Deb, any news………… #158266
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Deb,

    You are wise to expect more strings to pop. Question: Do you have to pay to replace these? When my friend bought her Prelude 40

    in reply to: Harp dresses #144968
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    The original poster wanted classy, modest dresses. I clicked on this website and even the Mother-of-the-Bride dresses showed way too much cleavage and bare arms to be considered modest, IMO.

    I’ve gotten a few dresses from Holy Clothing, but I really don’t like the thin flimsy material they are made of. I just recently bought a medieval style dress with long tippets that I like, but I will use that mainly for renfest performances. I’m still looking for the perfect harp dress myself.

    in reply to: changes in tone as harps age #158333
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I agree with Steven & Karen- get the best harp your money can buy. That’s what I did, and I’ll never look back. It doesn’t matter to me what playing level I am at, or whether this is a hobby or profession. Look at it this way- if you can only play simple tunes, wouldn’t you want them to sound the best they can?

    Back to the original topic though…I think

    in reply to: Any ideas for science fair project using the harp? #83296
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Now that is an excellent idea! And especially suitable for a middle school science fair project, IMO.

    Karen

    in reply to: Any ideas for science fair project using the harp? #83293
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    How about something related to sound waves and their effect on say, water? Not sure how you would rig this up, but I heard somewhere that the producers of Jurassic Park used a guitar string to create the effect of the vibration in the cup of water in the jeep

    in reply to: What makes a good student? #83602
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    A good attitude and perserverance. No amount of natural talent will compensate for these two qualities if they are lacking. Fortunately for me, my students have this in abundance! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp-themed holiday cards #73411
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I bought the Irish Blessings holiday card from Sylvia’s website a few years ago, but that was really the only affordable selection she had. Melody’s has some very pretty ones of harps that could be used for the holidays. I’d like to find some good harp-themed holiday cards too, so hopefully we can both catch some good leads here!

    Karen

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156655
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Yes, Xavier is amazing! However, the main topic of this thread is about posters here on this forum that have youtube videos of themselves. I haven’t seen Xavier post here, but there is a thread on this forum about favorite youtube harpists that you might want to visit :-)

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/forum/message-view?message_id=1554315

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 542 total)