Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: riu riu chiu #109133
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have this version too. It is very basic, but I’m thinking of playing it this way:

    1x: as written

    2x: add rolled chords to melody, 8va

    3x: add some embellishments to melody*, flesh out bass with chord runs**

    * grace notes, i.e. 2nd measure agF (lower case would be grace notes)

    ** 4th measure, 16th note run acea, then hit e with the second a(quarter note)

    I’m also thinking of making it more medieval sounding by playing the melody in open chords instead of rolled. I’ll need to fool around with it a bit more, though.

    Thanks for the tip- I’m definitely adding this one to my Christmas rep!

    Karen

    in reply to: Tall harpists? #151621
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    While I am not nearly that tall, as far as basic position goes I have read

    in reply to: I have been Playing…… #160172
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Liam! Welcome Back!

    I’ve been on a hiatus myself for a couple months, just started posting again a few weeks ago. You have definitely been busy! I think the brass soundboard looks very interesting, I imagine the vibration must just go on and on…

    How interesting too that you are building flutes. What type of flute are you building? I have a concert Boehm style-flute along with some bamboo flutes from Windsong instruments. Been playing for about 25 years now. I wouldn’t even begin to know how to build one of these!

    Question: What’s wrong with your thumb? Is it just the Alaska piks not working?

    Karen

    in reply to: Dark sounding first harp? #75749
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks for the quick response, Tony! One more question: How far above middle C do you go with your gut strings?

    Karen

    in reply to: Dark sounding first harp? #75747
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Musicmaker’s offers their Limerick model- a 26 string lap harp- with optional low C tuning. This harp packs a lot of projection for it’s size, and in my

    in reply to: How many years of study to become a teacher? #84426
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I have a different perspective on this. I currently have two harp students who are beginners- one is just beginning and the other has progressed quite nicely with my help. I do not have an education (degree)

    in reply to: How many years of study to become a teacher? #85649
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I have a different perspective on this. I currently have two harp students who are beginners- one is just beginning and the other has progressed quite nicely with my help. I do not have an education (degree)

    in reply to: aoyama pedal harps #159867
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well said, Briggs. I have run into my fair share of “snobbery” for having a kit-built lever harp. Don’t really care- my harp sounds wonderful to me and to everyone who has heard it. Just played a lovely wedding yesterday in Ann Arbor at the country club on Whitmore Lake. Got many compliments on the way my little kit-built harp looked and sounded. Nobody minded the fact that it wasn’t a pedal harp. They were just delighted to hear the wonderful sound. I think it has more to do with insecurity and comparison, in my opinion. Kinda like kids fighting over who has the better toy, ya know?

    Karen

    in reply to: Is my old Clark Irish Harp still playable? #75332
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: Practice hour #160210
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    It varies according to my work schedule, but I usually try to get in 30 min. before and after work. On my days off I have been known to spend 4-6 hours (broken up) at the harp.

    Karen

    in reply to: harp kits? #74591
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    What stage did you purchase this harp kit in? I noticed on the Cambria they offered different stages of construction. I believe stage 3 required only sanding, finishing, and stringing. This would be the easiest route I believe. Best of luck to you, fellow harp “kit-ster”! I’m sure your harp will sound wonderful! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Amplifier for L&H Ogden #160222
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I actually bought my Crate Taxi on ebay for around $150 USD. I did a google search yesterday and found several sites, one of them is http://www.musiciansfriend.com

    Just type in taxi or limo in their search bar. Glad to help!

    Karen

    in reply to: Amplifier for L&H Ogden #160220
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have a

    in reply to: harp kits? #74589
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #84389
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have the Voyageur that I built from a kit with the help of my husband. I also have built one of the Smart Harps. Musicmaker’s has wonderful instruments at reasonable prices. The Voyageur is not something I recommend a 12-year old to attempt to build, however. There was a lot of sanding, some trimwork and fitting to do that is best handled by someone older and/or with previous wood-working experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 542 total)