harpcolumn

aoyama pedal harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists aoyama pedal harps

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I too started out life on an Aoyama – and Orpheus model. And I had alot of puts downs from other players that played more “elite” brands. Saying, don’t use her, she has a cheap jap harp! And I used to get hurt, because I felt that many of them were saying they were a better player based on the expense of their harp and not their playing ability.

And I think its competitiveness. Some harpists are very competitive and will use whatever edge they have over you to try to out compete you! Other harpist, may genuinely not think they are not a good

unknown-user
    Participant

Aoyama used to be not very good harps, but they have recently inproved dramatically. They also vary so much in sound; my Aotama custom monarch sounds amazing, but i have played other aoyama pedal harps which sound awful! There is just more variation in aoyama harps than in salvi or L&H.

unknown-user
    Participant

Am I mistaken or is there a reference in Dr. Rensch’s most recent book to the Aoyama company being in the instrument business for many years?

unknown-user
    Participant

They have been making harps for over a century

Ian McVoy
    Participant

The same happens to Camac harps, Ian. Those who have played one (or haven’t played any)

Karen Johns
    Participant

Well said, Briggs. I have run into my fair share of “snobbery” for having a kit-built lever harp. Don’t really care- my harp sounds wonderful to me and to everyone who has heard it. Just played a lovely wedding yesterday in Ann Arbor at the country club on Whitmore Lake. Got many compliments on the way my little kit-built harp looked and sounded. Nobody minded the fact that it wasn’t a pedal harp. They were just delighted to hear the wonderful sound. I think it has more to do with insecurity and comparison, in my opinion. Kinda like kids fighting over who has the better toy, ya know?

Karen

Sylvia Clark

I bought my Ayoama Etude in 1989.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies