Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #84383
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Whatever, Briggs- I call it like I see it. Apparently Sylvia felt the same way, as she stated she was feeling like a “contaminant”. I was just trying to be a little more welcoming. Perhaps I hit a nerve- if so, I apologize.

    Karen

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #85606
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Whatever, Briggs- I call it like I see it. Apparently Sylvia felt the same way, as she stated she was feeling like a “contaminant”. I was just trying to be a little more welcoming. Perhaps I hit a nerve- if so, I apologize.

    Karen

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #84379
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I for one don’t have a problem with it, I think it’s great you have written books and have gotten such a nice review. Many of us on this forum brag about our harps, performances, skills, etc. – why not a book review? It’s not like you are taking orders over this forum or even advertising the price. I’m sorry you were attacked for sharing something that should be celebrated. Best of luck to you and your new book :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: The Lovely Wedding- a book review by Betsy Paine #85602
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I for one don’t have a problem with it, I think it’s great you have written books and have gotten such a nice review. Many of us on this forum brag about our harps, performances, skills, etc. – why not a book review? It’s not like you are taking orders over this forum or even advertising the price. I’m sorry you were attacked for sharing something that should be celebrated. Best of luck to you and your new book :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Urgent stringing question #160051
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Audrey,

    One of the people at Robinson’s Harp Shop (I think it was

    in reply to: Do you have a ritual of some kind before you perform? #109075
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I pray too- and if I have one, I’ll eat a banana to help calm my nerves about a half hour or so before the performance. It’s a fine line with caffeine for me- if I have one cup of coffee or a coke I find it helps my focus, but more than that and I’m jittery and hyper-nervous, ALWAYS a bad thing!

    I’m also looking into the alternative technique called

    in reply to: Some people are really social clods…. #151471
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Misty,

    Maybe the second call was a form of psychology? It almost sounds like the guy was trying to establish the “upper hand” in the conversation, and probably thought if he did that and dominated you from the beginning you would go along with anything he wanted you to do. I worked for someone like that once- it was a nightmare. I believe you did yourself a HUGE favor by not taking that gig!

    Briggs,

    I feel for you- I deal with these kinds of people ALL the time- always looking for a bargain, never wanting to pay full price for anything. It’s called “entitlement”, and it seems to be the way of the world lately. They believe it is their God-given right to be entitled to everything without either having to work hard for it or pay for it. Absolutely no sense of personal responsibility.

    I had a lady use a coupon at my work the other day with “limit 3” on it- when I explained that meant it was good for only 3 items, she told me she thought it meant she could only use the coupon 3 times!?! Then she dropped three of the items (she originally had 6) on the floor next to her and never bothered to put them back. What this person doesn’t realize is that it takes money to pay someone to put those items back, and that has a trickle down effect that adds into the price of the items themselves. And yet these are the same types of people that will continually gripe about not getting a good enough “deal”.

    This is just one example of where this type of “bargain basement” haggling goes on other than in the musician’s line of work. I’ve had a few of those as a harper too. People who charge

    in reply to: Sporatic students #84319
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I feel for you, Miriam. My biggest concern with my adult students is that they don’t give up. Sometimes life interferes and other

    in reply to: Sporatic students #85542
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I feel for you, Miriam. My biggest concern with my adult students is that they don’t give up. Sometimes life interferes and other

    in reply to: Should one play a harp outdoors? #75720
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    In the direct sun on a hot day, temperatures can “build up” on the surface of the harp- just feel a wood surface left in the sun after a half an hour and you will see that it is a lot hotter than the air temperature around it. While temperatures at or under 100 F will not effect the glue, I would not trust leaving a harp out in the sun or in a parked vehicle. How would you be able to tell if you were in the danger zone? Better safe than sorry. Temperatures at 130 F can soften the glue, and with the tension of those strings, those little penny nails holding the soundboard to the sides of the soundbox need all the help they can get (not to mention the pillar/neck attachment).

    I realize the construction differs from harp to harp- some are built with more stabilizing features than others.

    I defer to the following links to emphasize my point about leaving a harp in the sun:

    http://www.harpcenter.com/page/SWHC/PROD/8387B

    http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/info/stricare.htm

    Karen

    in reply to: Rusty tuning pins #109116
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    If your tuning pins are rusty, you can take a bit of steel wool to shine them up, or replace them altogether, whichever is easier. Most harp stores sell standard zither and through harp tuning pins, and they are fairly inexpensive. If you have problems with the pins holding after replacing them, there is a product called “pin-tite” that you can dab into the hole to help the pin stick.

    in reply to: Should one play a harp outdoors? #75717
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Another concern with leaving a harp in the sun for extended periods of time is the effect the heat will have on the glue in the various joints. This can weaken the structural integrity of the instrument over time- one of those “silent killers” if you will.

    Karen

    in reply to: teaching students to read music #84407
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have one of Bonnie Mohr’s music books called “Colorful Christmas Carols for the Harp”. She has all the C’s & F’s colored in on the small harp arrangements. It has helped me tremendously when I was starting to learn the bass clef.

    Karen

    in reply to: teaching students to read music #85630
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have one of Bonnie Mohr’s music books called “Colorful Christmas Carols for the Harp”. She has all the C’s & F’s colored in on the small harp arrangements. It has helped me tremendously when I was starting to learn the bass clef.

    Karen

    in reply to: Should one play a harp outdoors? #75711
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Most definitely! I actually prefer to play outdoors, providing the weather is nice. One of my favorite things to do is play outside on my covered porch in the early evening. As Tony said, just make sure you re-tune after the harp is acclimated. And direct sun is definitely a no-no, even indoors (like through a window).

    Happy Harping!

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 542 total)