harpcolumn

I have been Playing……

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists I have been Playing……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Liam M
    Participant

…. Around!

The debut of my Brass Sound Board experiment!

It is a strange sound… The sustain is even longer then that of traditional wire and the effect of damping is changed. The pitch is surprisingly stable, much more so then wood. However the sound is not unpleasant and shows promise.

Liam M
    Participant

Forgot to mention, the test jig is adjustable. I can vary Arch to Soundboard dimension

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Definitely an interesting experiment!

Liam M
    Participant

Hi Audrey!! How are you?

Karen Johns
    Participant

Hi Liam! Welcome Back!

I’ve been on a hiatus myself for a couple months, just started posting again a few weeks ago. You have definitely been busy! I think the brass soundboard looks very interesting, I imagine the vibration must just go on and on…

How interesting too that you are building flutes. What type of flute are you building? I have a concert Boehm style-flute along with some bamboo flutes from Windsong instruments. Been playing for about 25 years now. I wouldn’t even begin to know how to build one of these!

Question: What’s wrong with your thumb? Is it just the Alaska piks not working?

Karen

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam,

I’m curious as to where you got the brass for the soundboard.

Liam M
    Participant

The THUMBS do not like the strings… My thumbnails constantly catch or miss the string and manage to strum it when I am trying to damp it. Something about the angle and the approach, my fingers can dance across the strings, but the thumb plows!

Liam M
    Participant

Michael,

The brass is coming from Ace hardware, it’s manufactured by K&S engineering. I have .014 to .020 on hand right now.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Liam,

I like the idea of working with a harp on a small scale, experimenting with what works and what doesn’t, what tensions are tolerated, and its impact on tone.

Liam M
    Participant

Well… I am not sure yet of some of the algorthms involved, but if we could develop them, we could program it.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Think about making the soundbox from sheet metal.

Dennis McKenzie
    Participant

Liam , greetings. For the problem with your thumb try using a guitar thumb pick that slides over your thumb. I have used one for years playing finger style guitar and found I liked using it on my wire Trinity as well. I just cant use those Alaskapicks. hope this helps. Dennis

Liam M
    Participant

Greetings to you as well… Thanks, I will try that…

Liam M
    Participant

Hmmm…..

harp guy
    Participant

Sounds fun!!!

Have you tried tuning it to a whole tone scale? That would probably sound nice given the sustain. I just wouldn’t tune it to a standard Do Re Mi style scale though. You’ll always end on “ti” and have that unresolved 7th lingering in the air.

::shudder::

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.