Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp for Today #85448
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Sylvia Woods Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for Folk Harp is pretty good to get started on, it covers left hand patterns in different time signatures, chords, plus contains many songs to play around with.

    in reply to: Composing harp music #159623
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Most of the Finale software can be tried out for free (I think on a 30 day basis). I’ve used it before and it works well.

    Karen

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Could be the wind may have kept the temperature down where the soundboard was exposed to the sun. However, I would ask the person who replaced the soundboard what kind of finish they used. It doesn’t seem right that there should be such

    in reply to: Corroded brass rings on soundboard #159649
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Another option are the gold-plated grommets that Betty Truitt sells on the Dragonwhispers website.

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hmmmm….I can take a stab at this one, but hopefully a professional pedal harp builder (like Carl) will jump in with a better educated explanation. First, a couple of questions. What temperature was the harp at originally? Was the soundboard exposed to direct sunlight? When your harp was rebuilt, did they put a brand new soundboard in it?

    Here’s what I think might have caused this: If the soundboard was originally at 70 degrees or so, then cooled to 55, then- if exposed to direct sunlight-heated up again (while the interior of the soundboard stayed at 55 or so) this could have caused the finish to contract and expand over a short period of time, causing the crackling.

    Alternatively, if the builder did not replace the soundboard when they rebuilt your harp this crackling may be the result of aging, and you may not have noticed it before now. The brighter surroundings made the finish show up more.

    Oddly, though, I’ve taken my harp out in cool temps (30’s, with a light cover) to warm temps (70’s) with vast humidity changes in transport and not had anything like this happen. It could very well be the type of finish on your harp.

    I’m so sorry this happened to your baby :-( I hope you can get him (her?) fixed.

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp Gifts #75008
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    That is wonderful, Pat! I was desperately searching for some nice Christmas cards with harps on them, all to no avail. I will keep you in mind for the future :-) Thanks for sharing!

    Karen

    in reply to: 26 string Harp #74933
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    May I also recommend the 26 string Limerick from Musicmaker’s? It is available in cherry or walnut, with nylon or wire strings. It has a beautiful tone and wonderful projection. You can check out sound clips on Musicmaker’s website- http://www.harpkit.com

    Karen

    in reply to: Different type levers- what’s the difference? #74897
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Try this thread-

    http://www.harpcolumn.com/forum/message-view?message_id=2222516

    Hope this is what you’re looking for. :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Pet Names #108746
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Mine would be Mojo Frodo!

    in reply to: Different type levers- what’s the difference? #74894
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    If you do a google on Camacs, Truitts, and Lovelands, you should find at least a few threads here on these levers. I think just about everyone on these forums has a preference and has listed several reasons why.

    Karen

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159540
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    in reply to: Music Maker’s Voyageur Harp #68850
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I know this is an old thread, but I finally got around to posting a somewhat decent soundclip of my harp on YouTube (notice I didn’t say video clip, the visual quality is

    in reply to: Playing Harp and Secondary Instrument #108619
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, it does stretch you thinner- I’m sure if I concentrated on harp only I would probably be farther advanced. You know what they say- “Jack (or Jill) of all trades, master of none”. I currently play harp(celtic and irish), flute, hammered dulcimer, voice, and irish whistle. I do recall a thread about playing piano and harp, and many posts agreed that

    in reply to: 1st octave gut strings #75120
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I agree with you Saul- I have noticed this dulling (I prefer to call it mellowing) affect the gut strings have in the baritone range of my lever harp. I wondered how to explain why this is, but your assessment of the

    in reply to: What is your other job (if you have one) besides harping? #108660
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Great idea! I’m game…. :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 542 total)