Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Caption This #108732
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    How about “Hey there beautiful- what are you doing after the concert?”

    in reply to: What is your other job (if you have one) besides harping? #108641
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I am a Michigan Certified Florist and MSU Master Gardener and currently work at a greenhouse . I hardly ever get to practice during the growing season.

    in reply to: Tis The Season For Crazy Concerts #151052
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Oh my! I’m spilling my coffee here laughing so hard- maybe you should all stage a revolt and play totally different pieces in syncopation the night off.

    in reply to: What do you all use for harp seats? #74236
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have an adjustable keyboard bench that I reupholstered. Cost me about $7 at my local dollar store, and has served me well for over 2 years now. It has a sturdy metal frame and no back. I cover it with a velvet throw and it dresses it right up, plus I can tuck extra music under it this way too.

    Karen

    in reply to: A Surprisingly Nice Rehearsal….. #108841
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    That is a sweet and very

    in reply to: For the Pros: Student/Teacher relationship #151064
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi,

    I can’t help but respond to this, if only to give you some moral (not necessarily “professional”, I’m not quite that seasoned) support. After reading your last post I can see the bigger picture-sort of. It would be nice to hear her side of the story too, but from what I can glean from you, it appears to be envy on her part. I have been in a situation where myself and a fellow musician “rubbed each other the wrong way”. It became so apparent to the other players in my group that I finally had to put a stop to it. Yes, playing flute (and harp)

    in reply to: Intermediate Irish tunes #158668
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks so much! I will look into the Sounding Harps series. I did wind up purchasing the Dawning of The Day by Rasmussen and am looking through it. I’ve been playing Inisheer all along, it is one of my favorite tunes. Another that I love is the Gentle Maiden. Celtic music is my main interest, so these suggestions from those who specialize in this genre of music is most welcome.

    Happily Harping Away~

    Karen

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159612
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks Fearghal! :-)

    I am self-taught but I relied heavily on both Sylvia Woods and Pamela Bruner’s teaching series. They both support the thumbs-up technique, thank goodness. If your interested, this harpist plays the song “The Wild Geese”. I think that is the video where I saw her thumb-under technique. I still think she does a fine job of it regardless, but then I don’t have an educated ear for these things. I just liked what I heard.

    Karen

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159611
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, welcome back Liam! I missed you! :-)

    Trust me, keep those thumbs as high as you can. One thing I have been noticing with my wire harp technique is that I have to pluck the string A LOT gentler with the thumb, especially in the upper register. It’s like I don’t know my own strength. No strings breaking from this (whew!) just a harsh overtone if I’m not gentle, which grates on my nerves.

    Karen

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159607
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    When I went to college they wouldn’t accept anything from Wikipedia as a reference. It cracks me up when I read the bottom of this webpage- they assure those who plan on using this as a citation that the information is accurate and unbiased, etc. LOL I guess I should have looked a little closer at where they got their information to begin with. The sad thing is that a person who knows not to get information on Wikipedia (like me) and knows nothing about the harp (unlike me) would use this as a reference. To all appearances it looks to be a college-based source.

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159605
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Fearghal,

    This is exactly how I’ve been playing all along, with both my wire-strung and celtic harps. I was rather perplexed by that website. I mean, how in the world would you manage to do cross-overs and cross-unders with your thumb low? However, I have seen a harper on Youtube play this way. She always tucks her thumb into her palm under the first finger. It really surprised me when I noticed this because she plays rather well regardless. Now I can’t help but wonder how well her tone would sound if she played the thumbs-up way….

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159602
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Correction: this information was taken from the Cambridge Encyclopedia, Vol. 32 (according to this website). Yikes- makes you wonder what other misinformation is floating around out there, doesn’t it?

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159601
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    What really surprised me is that this site affiliates itself with Cambridge! Perhaps someone should send them a correction. This had me all confused.

    Karen

    in reply to: Opinions on thumb-under or thumb-over #159599
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Tony,

    I came across this website in my research and this is what led to my questions:

    http://encyclopedia.stateuniversity.com/pages/9513/harp.html

    Scroll down to the heading of Harp Technique. I think someone goofed when typing this. It says that the Grandjany and Salzedo method has the thumb moving under the fingers, rather than being held high as in the modern technique. This confused me as to which was the better method, as I have heard many references to Salzedo and Grandjany on these forums.

    Karen

    in reply to: Best self-teaching materials? #159537
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Amazing….I could actually say that I have teachers here on this forum. I have learned SO much from these posts. Thank you everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 542 total)