harpcolumn

Best self-teaching materials?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Best self-teaching materials?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Karen Johns
    Participant

Well said, Tony. I second your opinion. For me, I have little to no interest in playing classical music, with the exception of a couple of popular pieces. Guidance is all I really need, and I have had that. Your explanation was right on the mark, IMO.

Karen

Tony, I always like your posts and they are always fair, but I will disagree with you on one thing. Yes, it’s fine not to take lessons on the harp if that’s what you must do, but I will say that you can almost

tony-morosco
    Participant

Briggsie,

I think you misunderstand my reasoning. I am not saying someone who does not have a teacher will typically be able to play as well as one who does.

What I am saying is that we often assume that when someone decides to learn an instrument that they actually want to play as best they can. The truth is that the vast majority do not want to play the best they can.

To play the best you can takes years of lessons, hours and hours of practice, and lots of pain, sweat and tears.

Most people who take up an instrument don’t want to put that into it. They want to be able to play some music for their own enjoyment and perhaps for their friends, who will be much more forgiving than an audience paying to see a classical harpist perform a concerto with the local symphony.

I just think that advice needs to be geared towards the goals of the individual. If a person just wants to play the folk harp for fun at home in front of the hearth, and maybe play some Christmas carols for family at the holidays, then the idea that they need to dedicate years to study with a teacher isn’t applicable.

It is perfectly possible for most people to be able to learn to play well enough for their own enjoyment and amusement without needing years of lessons with a teacher.

That doesn’t mean that the average person will play as well self taught as if they had a teacher. It’s just that it isn’t necessary for the average hobby player because they don’t necessarily want to push it to that level.

As for hurting one’s self, I think that it is not that hard to learn to play without hurting ones self. The reason most people hurt themselves is not bad hand position. It is because they over practice.

I think that since the harp is a bit more difficult to take up those who do tend to be more driven to take it up, and as a result we tend to play more than people who take up other instruments. CT and Tendinitis are often caused by improper warming up and repetitive motion. Even with perfect technique harpists often end up with these problems. In fact the majority of the harpists I know of who have these problems are mostly professionals with those years of lessons. But being professionals they spend hours and hours every day playing, either practicing or performing.

I don’t know many hobby players, self taught or not, who have CT due to playing the harp. The more you play the more careful you need to be, but also the more likely you are to have these problems.

Again, the stress put on the hands and wrists when playing the guitar is much, much greater than playing the harp, yet the majority of guitar players are self taught and no one is overly concerned that they are all going to hurt themselves. Most do fine and

meredith-kohn-bocek
    Participant

Nat,

When you are ready, let me know.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tony- Your very thoughtful post(as they always are) brings up some interesting points.

It took me a long time to realize that not every student coming to me wanted the rigorous technical training that I had. Nor do they necessarily want to play at the level that I do(an unrealistic goal if one is not willing to do the above mentioned work). I get that, and for that reason I just don’t teach very much and limit myself to students who have been playing the harp for a while(indicating that they are serious and will probably stick with it) and have transferred to me from another teacher. That’s my niche.

I would only point out that even if someone started to play the harp for their own amusement or to play for family or friends occasionally, they are going to find that what they can play is completely dictated by the level of their technique. The fact is, most adult beginners WANT to play harder repertoire but are unwilling to do what it takes to play it. I have occasionally given one-off lessons to adults who have been studying with a teacher for a while. They come to me and always ALWAYS put a piece on the stand that is way beyond them and want me to teach it to them. I spend the hour teaching them how to break the piece down, learn patterns, how to practice, etc. and invariably their eyes glaze over in the first few minutes and I know they have not the slightest intention of following my advice. So I don’t bother teaching one-off lessons anymore either.

If someone wants to learn the harp with the goal of improvising or playing pop tunes from fake books, their arrangements are going to be completely controlled by how well they can get around the instrument. A self taught person, or one who just doesn’t want to work on the technical aspects is going to be riveted to one or two octaves in the middle of the instrument, and limited to 3 finger arpeggios and chords.

What I would suggest to teachers who do teach adult beginners is to find out, right of the bat, what their goal is. What kind of music they want to be able to play. Then come up with a plan for getting them there. The teacher might even, at the first lesson, play a variety of easy pieces to see which ones grab the student and then tell the student if it’s possible to get them to that level
    and what they will have to do to get there.

Tacye
    Participant

Some years ago I gave short lessons to all comers at the Stamford harp festival which was a really interesting experience.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Amazing….I could actually say that I have teachers here on this forum. I have learned SO much from these posts. Thank you everyone!

janet-daugherty
    Participant

I like this topic because I constantly stuggle with this at home. I’ve played piano for years, and now harp for years.

Minnesota Harpist
    Participant

I’ve read several of these type posts here and always end up being just a bit “frustrated” and also happy to read the posts that support that it is possible to learn on one’s own.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Minnesota Harpist
    Participant

Thanks Karen.

What strong opinions this brought forth! Perhaps Nat has a natural instinct for the harp and has the genius to play it perfectly on his own. Conventionally speaking, you should take lessons, if only to support the profession, and you may have to undo what you have already gotten used to doing, but do what you want. If you have a harp, you might as well play it. There are several people here who have offered distance learning, including myself. You could also take a weekend trip to a teacher and have a few hours of instruction to get a good start. But, fiddling around, will probably lead to a fiddling sort of technique.

The only book I would recommend you start with for self-learning is the Method for the Harp by Lucile Lawrence. It has great photos of her hands, and she clearly explains how the hand works. The ABC of Harp Playing is designed for the basic beginner, so use that with it. You could also go into the Pathfinder Studies. The folk-harp books that I’ve seen, just a few of them, would be not-good guides, and even misleading. Where you go with it is up to you, but the best foundation will yield the best results for you. Or do whatever you want. We’re all equal, right, Briggsie?

janet-daugherty
    Participant

Thought I’d post on this again.

Chris Asmann
    Participant

Good luck, Nat.

I have bought all the method books and started trying to teach myself. I’m an intelligent person with a musical background and figured it couldn’t be that hard….

It was pretty frustrating and not very productive. 6 months later I found a good teacher and I got more out of my first lesson (which was about 2 hours long) than I got out of 4 different method book series. If you want to buy some barely-use method books, let me know ;-)

I’m not you of course, but if you find you’re not getting anywhere with the self-taught material, make the effort to

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I have witnessed over a year of weekly lessons

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies