Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I’m by no means under-endowed, and I have no problems with my harp position. I angle the harp to where it leans slightly more against my right knee, and does not touch my shoulder at all. I found out how to correctly position my harp from an excellent article by Laurie Riley in the Folk Harp Journal. You may want to check into this article- I found it in the Folk Harp Journal CD from Musicmaker’s. Hope this helps! :-)

    Karen

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I’m by no means under-endowed, and I have no problems with my harp position. I angle the harp to where it leans slightly more against my right knee, and does not touch my shoulder at all. I found out how to correctly position my harp from an excellent article by Laurie Riley in the Folk Harp Journal. You may want to check into this article- I found it in the Folk Harp Journal CD from Musicmaker’s. Hope this helps! :-)

    Karen

    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I’m by no means under-endowed, and I have no problems with my harp position. I angle the harp to where it leans slightly more against my right knee, and does not touch my shoulder at all. I found out how to correctly position my harp from an excellent article by Laurie Riley in the Folk Harp Journal. You may want to check into this article- I found it in the Folk Harp Journal CD from Musicmaker’s. Hope this helps! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Why numbers? #108111
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    They use numbers on other instruments as well, most notably on flutes. I have a Yamaha 385 that’s over 20 years old, and Yamaha still numbers their newer models.

    in reply to: structural problems with Aida & Voyageur? #74231
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    First of all, are you referring to the Musicmaker’s Voyageur? If so, I’ve had one for over three years now with absolutely no problems. In fact, I’ve only had one string break on it which to me is astounding compared to other harps. Another of my friends has one that is even older than this, having bought one from a previous owner. Yes, the soundboard has bowed. This is known as “bellying-up” and as far as I know fairly common to most harps. The soundboard is made of 6-ply Finnish aircraft birch, the strongest on

    in reply to: Belated posting- my “new” harp! #74272
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Very gorgeous harp Carol! So glad you are enjoying it- and those gold Truitt levers really set off that dark wood. It looks very ancient and rich. When you are trained up a bit (and when you are comfortable) maybe you can post a song on youtube? I have looked but have yet to come across a recording of any Webster harp, much less a McFall. It would be wonderful to actually hear one.

    Congrats Again! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Mid-east harps #72116
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, it seems like you have made your choice, and you would rather take your chances on a cheaper Mid-East harp. You are aware of the risks of getting a harp that may not hold up to the test of time or even be false from the start. Just please make sure who ever you purchase this from, be it ebay or other, has a good rating and rock-solid return policy. Best of luck to you- I have a feeling you will need it! ;-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Seats #74299
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Gary,

    First and foremost, you need to be comfortable at your harp. If your chair is too low, your knees may be bent upwards. Ideally, your knees should be in a straight line to your hips, with your feet flat on the floor. Believe me, if you compromise your posture, you will come to regret it. I certainly did, and my

    in reply to: Leaving Levers Engaged #74307
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Zen,

    I think a lot depends on the type of strings and levers, as well as tension.

    in reply to: re: Searching for a cart #150250
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Half or full dolly securing device idea- Musicmaker’s kneebones. I know these are used for securing a lap harp for ease of playing, but it may do a double duty here. You could affix padding against the metal so the back of the harp wouldn’t rub.

    in reply to: re: Searching for a cart #150249
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, you could look at Home Depot for a plant stand on wheels. One of my students uses this to wheel around her harp and it works great. She did have to secure the stand around the feet with a bungee cord, but she pooled some fabric around the base and you don’t even see it. Was this what you were thinking? Other than that, all that keeps popping in my mind is a dolly of sorts, maybe a half-dolly you could disguise/cushion with fabric. You’d still need to figure out a way to secure your harp though. Home Depot would probably have those too.

    Hope this helps :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: The Harpist’s Declaration of Independence #108206
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Just had to chime in- haven’t heard from you in a while, great to see you “putting your two cents (shillings?) in” here once again!

    To add to the declaration:

    And let it be known to all and sundry that harps come in all shapes and sizes, and can play in every musical venue from jazz to classical to folk. We refuse to be “pigeonholed” by what type of harp we have, be it pedal, lever, cross-strung, wire-strung, triple-strung, or paraguayan into any one particular musical style. All harps regardless of cost or style are to be accepted as “real” harps.

    in reply to: Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!” #149879
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    My pleasure, harp guy- it’s nice to see a marketing technique work well for someone else. That’s a gift in and of itself :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: The Harp Gathering #108166
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I read your blog via Facebook- loved it! You are one talented writer, I almost felt like I was there in the room with you. I’m hoping I can attend next year- I know I would be in pure bliss! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: To play or not to play, that is the question #150267
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Wouldn’t touch this with a ten-foot pole. Honestly. It’s certainly admirable to have a sympathetic heart, and I commend you for it, but I have a feeling you are just getting jerked around here. Unless this is some sort of a last-minute wedding in and of itself, then there is really no excuse for this kind of slip-shod planning. It’s just not worth the stress on you, IMO.

    Karen

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 542 total)