harpcolumn

Leaving Levers Engaged

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Leaving Levers Engaged

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    holly-kemble
    Participant

Hi All~

I need feedback and advice concerning leaving levers engaged for extended periods of time.

I tune my harp in the key of E-flat major, so when playing in the key of C, the B, E, and A levers are engaged (flipped up). I often forget to flip them back into the open position at the end of the day.

My teacher tells me that this is a great way to help support the replacement harp string industry. I haven’t really noticed additional or faster breaking, but logically I

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, your teacher is right. It’s not going to happen overnight, but there is a friction point where the string contacts the lever and as the harp moves due to the slight temperature/humidity changes in the room, it’s ever so slightly rubbing the string at that point.

Put them down.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

What Barbara said.

holly-kemble
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I am remembering to do this and I am sure it will help.

Now, I tune first in E flat, and then flip the levers and tune again in C. I have Camac levers which I really like, and so don’t notice much change in pitch after flipping.

Thanks again!

kay-lister

Hi Holly,

In your last statement you said that you tune to E flat and then flip your levers and tune again in C.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, the best thing about Camac levers is how easy they are to adjust by yourself. The Thormahlen harp site has instructions for regulating here:

http://thorharp.com/pages/regulatingcamaclevers.htm

You will need the right tools, but that’s a very worthwhile investment. You can get quite accurate with Camac levers and a little practice.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Hmmm, well, I’m doing it all wrong I guess, but I tune with the levers flipped up and I leave them up on my Blevin’s Bouree which I have had for over 5 years and it hasn’t broken a string yet.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Zen,

I think a lot depends on the type of strings and levers, as well as tension.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

It’s not going to make your strings go ping, ping, ping, especially if they’re nylon, but by making worn spots it will weaken them and make them false. I’d bet money that if you replace those strings at this point that you’ll see quite a difference in how your harp sounds.

holly-kemble
    Participant

Hi Kay~

Things are wonderful…thanks for asking! I just joined the Cincinnati Harpers Robin and have a performance in June at one of the local libraries. It’s a group of 7-12 harpists and we play mainly Celtic music. More fun than a barrel of monkeys! Attending BITM was a real confidence booster. And I learned alot that I apply to my playing. Can’t wait for the next one!

I should be clearer. I tune the harp in E-flat (open position). But I check the tuning when I move the levers to C major. I don’t really re-tune, but I may tweak them. I’ll follow Barbara’s advice and learn how to adjust Camac levers.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Holly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics