teaching (lever harp) students with certain physical characteristics

Posted In: Teaching the Harp

• Participant
    Lgorman3@juno.com on #84632

OK, folks, I am not sure if there has been a posting on this topic in the past.

Participant
    Tacye on #84633

Can she hold the harp with her knees only?

Participant
    jessica-wolff on #84634

A taller harp? I’m 5’0″ and well-endowed in the area you specify and have had no problems–but I’m playing a harp that’s 5’3″. Thanks, BTW. I have been thinking about the Merlin and now I see that it might not work so well for me.

Participant
    Karen Johns on #84635

Well, I’m by no means under-endowed, and I have no problems with my harp position. I angle the harp to where it leans slightly more against my right knee, and does not touch my shoulder at all. I found out how to correctly position my harp from an excellent article by Laurie Riley in the Folk Harp Journal. You may want to check into this article- I found it in the Folk Harp Journal CD from Musicmaker’s. Hope this helps! :-)

Karen

Participant
    Dwyn . on #84636

In all seriousness, unless her “endowment” is due to artificial implants, I think she just needs to go bra-shopping.

Participant
    Lgorman3@juno.com on #84637

Well, I think it is the heigth of the harp combined with her proportions.

Participant
    Tacye on #84638

You might find raising the harp rather than lowering the stool works better- this is particularly the case if the harp can have screw in legs because they often change the balance point of the harp.

kay-lister on #84639

Just a thought – how about placing the harp more on the right arm side of the body with the breast area on the left side of the harp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.