harpcolumn

Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Your response to: “WOW, That’s expensive!”

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    harp guy
    Participant

I myself use a different tactic to avoid the whole situation entirely (if possible). What I have learned from a course about booking and touring is to work the phone and the potential customer without making them feel like they are being played. Simply get as much information you can, without giving away too much information.

When they ask my fees, I always ask: “What is your budget? There is a standard price range in the area, and if I know your budget I can help you get the best deal.” (I also say this because often times they are considering several different instrumentations that I offer).

If they ask further questions about that policy I just explain that if I quote a price at the top end of the range it might turn them away whereas their budget might accommodate something lower priced. This helps them get what they want, and allows me to still book the event.

Now of course, if they have a large budget I won’t cheat them and charge a ridiculously high fee. I’ll just charge something in the upper end of the range that is appropriate/expected for harpists in my area without maxing out the limit.

In response to this exact comment at hand… I haven’t found anything great yet. I will definitely try the ‘highlight’ comment. It’s definitely better than ‘find a high school’ student… I’ve used that before unfortunately. It didn’t go well.

Jessica A
    Participant

I agree with Steven.

karen
    Participant

I think not getting too “activated” about this response would be the first thing. If you are getting activated, it is really YOUR issue with your fees. The cleanest answer I can think of that is not flippant and does answer their response would be, “Time is a commodity. I have spent a lot of time to learn to play beautifully–just like a surgeon spends a lot of time going to medical school. My instrument costs as much a down-payment on a house. Musical adds a dimension and depth to an event that is priceless.” People make choices every day…they can choose to have live music and they can choose not to. Ultimately, it is their choice and whether or not they choose it is not worth taking personally.

michael-steadman
    Participant

I get a lot of wedding inquiries and I have never had anyone comment on the expense.

harp guy
    Participant

By the way, I was booking a gig yesterday for a wedding. They only expected to pay $75 total, and were a bit flabbergasted by the fee of a flute and piano duo for a wedding. I used the ‘highlight of your lift’ line, and it worked like a charm! They asked for some time to discuss it amongst themselves, and I got an email shortly thereafter saying they would pay the fee I quoted. They didn’t even try to barter with me.

I will DEFINITELY add that to my permanent arsenal of booking techniques!

Thanks for sharing that!

Karen Johns
    Participant

My pleasure, harp guy- it’s nice to see a marketing technique work well for someone else. That’s a gift in and of itself :-)

Karen

phoebe-powell
    Participant

If people complain about how much I charge, I will explain to them how much the harp costs, and how much it costs to maintain (e.g. a set of strings costs me around $500, regulation costs around $300, etc.). Then they realize why you have to charge so much!! People can be quite ignorant towards musicians…they think that we can do things for free and that we don’t have to work that hard at all, so they don’t need to pay that much. I hate it when wedding planners say to budget a maximum of $250 for musicians (solo or ensemble). Hello! People need to eat. so if you had 5 people that would be $50 each…barely enough to cover gas.

I also hate it when people try and help me up stairs and try and grab my harp. I’ve learned to say right away, “No, thanks I don’t need any help. Please don’t touch the harp because this thing is worth $28,000…etc.”. Once they know the price they won’t dare go near you!!

Karen Johns
    Participant

All perils professional insurance is another expense we incur as harpists. This is something that people don’t think of either. Not many other musicians lug around an instrument that is worth thousands of dollars. It makes me nervous too when someone attempts to move my harp for me- insurance coverage or not.

Karen

armande-fryatt
    Participant

I’m finding that people are booking me very much last minute because it is perceived as a

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies