harpcolumn

Mid-east harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Mid-east harps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    clh-h
    Participant

Has anyone here ever bought a harp from mid-east? If so are they good harps?

I’m thinking of buying their pixie harp model http://www.dulcimershofar.com/product.php?productid=857

It only has a range of F below Middle C to High C, but I like the size, I don’t want a really big one one. I want to be able to carry it around with out too much trouble. Will I be able to play a lot of songs with that range though?

Also, the cheapest I’ve been able to find it for is $199. Do you think that’s a good deal?

Thanks for your time 🙂

clh-h
    Participant

And something else I forgot (I couldn’t find an edit button)

There’s two different versions of the pixie harp, the version above (non-standing) and the standing version http://www.dulcimershofar.com/product.php?productid=855

I think I prefer the non-standing version, because it’s less bulky. You don’t think the thinner soundboard would effect the sound or anything do you? or make the harp harder to hold on your lap?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Do a google search restricted to this site for “Pakistani harps”.

Alice Avery
    Participant

My very first harp was a Mid-east Minstrel, 29 string.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Barbara, do a google search for mid-east and harpcolumn or pakistani and harpcolumn and you will find a variety of opinions.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Don’t do it!

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Wish you could edit postings.

Anonymous
    Inactive

On ebay there is a Stoney End lap harp (22 strings) an it looks like it has some levers. $220, good deal if it’s in good shape.

Item # 180507391221

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Yeah, that’s a $700 or $800 harp easy.

clh-h
    Participant

But harpsicles are ugly

clh-h
    Participant

Oops, I didn’t mean to post that as a reply to the one above.

Tacye
    Participant

Do you want to look at your harp or play it?

clh-h
    Participant

I’m leaning towards look at a mid-east harp and make something that remotely resembles musical notes with it than pay an extra 100 plus dollars to look at and play something that looks more like a triangular popsicle than a harp.

😀

I suppose there isn’t anything out there that looks as good as the mid-east harp and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

Karen Johns
    Participant

Well, it seems like you have made your choice, and you would rather take your chances on a cheaper Mid-East harp. You are aware of the risks of getting a harp that may not hold up to the test of time or even be false from the start. Just please make sure who ever you purchase this from, be it ebay or other, has a good rating and rock-solid return policy. Best of luck to you- I have a feeling you will need it! ;-)

Karen

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

clh h,
    I’ve owned the made-in-Pakistan 19 string pixie, the 29 string minstrel and the cross-strung harps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies