harpcolumn

Our Hands

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

Patricia, thank you. I remember I had the same problem WAY back in my teens and my mother made me lemon-juice jello and V8-jello to tackle it.

For the folks with dry-skin problems: dunno if they still make it or not, but there was some stuff called Corn Huskers Lotion, mostly glycerine, that was very effective. Takes a good while to actually work it in.

lisa-davis
    Participant

it’s a definately concern for any instrument. I’m a professional pianist who has found myself wanting to play less and less since a 3rd degree burn to one of my fingers (boiled over coffee in the microwave of all the stupid things). even 2 years later when I hit a key just right those nerves which have any sensitivity left will sent a shot of pain straight up my arm. I’ve been medically assured I’m not causing any further damage, but it’s made playing a lot less fun….. Hence my increased harping since that time. the side and tip of the finger were not burned, so no pain when harping. I understand now why some performers get their hands insured!

paul-wren
    Participant

Anyone ever heard of putting liquid vitamin C on finger cuts?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I can give a glowing review to NexCare Skin Crack Care. It smells good, unlike the old skin glue, and contains Tea Tree Oil and also vitamin E AND oil soluble vitamin C.

I understand it can be hard to find, but it is sold on Amazon. I got mine at the local Walgreen’s.

unknown-user
    Participant

I tried this out and I was amazed! Moisturizers usually leave a greasy oily feeling for an hour or so. The aloe vera felt a lot like water, and soaked in very quickly. But for a few hours my hands weren’t dry at all! The best part was they never felt greasy, thanks for the tip!

— Natalie

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

A photographer I’ve gotten to know at some of my events came up to me recently to let me know he’d taken a series of close-up hdr photographs of my hands.

diana-lincoln
    Participant

For those of you with dry fingers, do you have any problems with making your strings squeak? This has become a very distracting problem for me. When my teacher plays my harp (Prelude) we hear no squeaks at all. My fingers are dry but not cracked. I use lotion everytime I wash. A couple of people suggested running fingers through my hair before playing but that didn’t work…I’m really puzzled! It kinda makes me feel like nails on a chalk board when I play. HELP!

Diana L.

diana-day
    Participant

Diana, I use just a bit of baby powder on my fingertips and the squeaks disappear.

Sherry, thanks for telling us about Nexcare. Amazing stuff!

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I know its expensive, but I’ve grown to really like having some dermabond liquid stitches in my emergency kit.

diana-lincoln
    Participant

Diana Day, Thank you so much for the powder idea! It worked like a charm!!! I really enjoyed playing today!!!
    Diana L.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies