HBrock25

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 365 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Anti-Israel Competition Diatribe #59866
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Thanks for moving this across Carl. Rest assured we’ll make sure the entire HC forum does get moved as well. And I’m confident the music community in Israel understands the propaganda that is going on. It’s not a great state of affairs.

    –Hugh

    in reply to: Have you ever counted? #102045
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I’ve always taken it on faith myself. Of course I usually take whatever @[[kimberly-rowe:User:Kimberly Rowe]] tells me on faith, so there you go.

    in reply to: Using the practice journal on this site with young students #82382
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Yeah. The idea would be that you would have a separate, presumably smaller set of people who you specifically allow to see *your* practice journal.

    It’s interesting b/c we originally were thinking about college students or young adults who might be likely to be working on a piece and want their friends to be able to see and comment on that. However if it’s going to be a real journal, I can certainly imagine a case where you really only want to share it with your teacher — and this is something we would also like to support.

    The good news is the springs and levers to make this happen are all in place. It’s just a matter of me creating a user interface people will understand to manage it :). Or, as my colleagues say, “a mere matter of programming.”

    Sigh…

    in reply to: Backup Career as Harpist? #155020
    HBrock25
    Participant

    As far as medical school goes, I graduated from med school last year and am now in my residency. It is very challenging and I would argue that it does require a special kind of talent. But it is a talent for science, critical thinking and communication with patients. Scholarships for medical school in the US are basically non-existent for the average applicant. You will carry incredibly high levels of debt (more than some houses cost) through educational loans and then spend several years paying them back. It is a long hard road and not for those who want to get into it for the money (it’s not what it used to be) or for the prestige (it’s not what it used to be either). However, it can be a very rewarding profession. And that will be what carries you through the hard times in medical school and the harder times in residency and later as an attending. My advice, if you are interested in medicine, please spend some time shadowing doctors in a variety of specialties. And if you get the chance, shadow residents.

    And during undergrad, you can major in anything and still apply for medical school, as long as you take all of the pre-med classes that medical schools require for admission. I personally dual degreed in English and Biology with a minor in chemistry. However, I started out as an English major and by the time I got to my senior year I only needed a couple of classes to get another degree in biology… so I took them. I will say that having a major other than biology does make you stand out in the applicant pack… as long as you do well enough in your pre-med classes.

    As for the harp, I can’t speak towards being a professional harpist. But I can speak to doing some other career and playing harp. I have enjoyed learning harp as an adult. It gives me a way to relax and des-tress from my busy days in the hospital. It is something that I get to do just for me. And it has also improved my dexterity, which is helpful in medicine. Once I improve more, I would like to combine my profession with the harp and volunteer to play music for patients in the hospital. 🙂

    All the best,

    Michelle

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102514
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Added a “sign in to post” link this afternoon, that should help a little…

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102511
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Yeah… or maybe I need to be a better (as we call it in the trade) “user experience designer” so it’s obvious :). I agree though, a (brief) explanation of what each area of the site is for wouldn’t be a bad idea.

    –Hugh

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102509
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Georgina, thanks, and I hear you on the font size. I’m going to poke around with fonts and sizes and type color on the new site to try to answer the many complaints I’ve had on this issue.

    As far as the layout, I’m aiming to make the new ones hold up to the spirit of these if not the letter. It’s all completely new code so getting there is an iterative process. Please keep the suggestions coming!

    –Hugh

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102508
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hmm… I was unclear… by “correct mistakes,” I didn’t mean correct mistakes in the actual piece… I meant correct mistakes in the data about it, like the year written and the edition and the spelling of the composer’s name and so on.

    A site that would allow you to correct “mistakes” in composers’ work would also be interesting, but probably out of scope for now… heh…

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102507
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hey Carl.

    You’re completely right about the event links on the upcoming events portlet on the front page — that link should go to the public events page, not to Hester (the site mom’s) page. There are so many contingencies in sites like these… Anyway, that’s a bug, I’ll put it on the list.

    The Library (under the “pieces” tab) is actually one of the things I’m most excited about on the new site. We’re hoping that harpists in the community will go here and add pieces that aren’t already there, or comment on those that are, in the process creating a wikipedia-like thing for harp music — basically a free (as in open-source software free) discussion and catalog of harp repertoire. I need to work on making the sorting and filtering on the library clearer, but the idea is that if you click through to one of the pieces there, you (and any other registered user of the site) should be able to edit it to correct mistakes, and comment on it (or respond to comments). Imagine if we had some of the discussion between you and Jane Wiedensaul preserved in the comments on the Faure Impromptu? What a scholarly resource, right?

    Anyway… I know I have a lot of work yet to do to make this more usable, but I think when you get the idea of the vision of the thing you’ll be as inspired as we are. In the end we’re trying to do two things: Get more harpists talking to each other, and keep the resulting ferment of ideas preserved for the future in a really well organized, searchable way.

    I really appreciate the usability comments and please don’t be afraid to continue posting them — I’ll do my best to get them addressed.

    Thanks,

    –Hugh

    in reply to: New Site–New Forums! #102494
    HBrock25
    Participant

    For what it’s worth, I am working on coding up some additional features that will make the forums easier to use — sorting and filtering of posts, sticky threads, and so on. The overall goal is making things much easier to find in the forums, like they already are with pieces and performances. I also have on the list adding email notifications and a nice site-wide search feature.

    Unfortunately I am only One Dude who is doing this in his spare time… so I hope you guys will be patient with me as I roll out these new features!

    –Hugh

    in reply to: A brand new Harp Column forum! #102003
    HBrock25
    Participant

    All your friends can access your MusicStand, yes, which means they can see photos you upload and hear audio samples. Videos are coming…

    in reply to: Bartok Concerto 2nd harp part….HELP! #145384
    HBrock25
    Participant

    Hi Rosalind,
    I just now saw this thread and was about to reply to Stephanie when I saw your post. Glad to have helped some time ago and that you are able to pay it forward.
    Best,
    Julie in Atlanta

    in reply to: Harp regulation in Indiana #155490
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I don’t know where in Indiana you’re located, but I know Tom Bell comes through or near southern Indiana about once a year. He may go to other parts of the state as well. Tom does great work (and is a nice person too!). You can contact him through his website: http://bellharp.com/

    in reply to: Harp regulation in Indiana #155489
    HBrock25
    Participant

    I live near Indy and totally understand!

    in reply to: Harp Therapy for the Monetarily Challenged #155540
    HBrock25
    Participant

    If you are a healer and play the harp, and have in your own experience feel you are capable to play for sick people, depressed people, ect. Why do you need an actual certificate? And why can you not call it harp therapy or music therapy? Is there another name to call it that will not offend those with a certificate? One think I never liked was putting so many rules on music. Music can be healing and Im not sure what is complicated about that. If you are a wise person and full of empathy for others, then playing harp for people to feel better, seems natural to me

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 365 total)