harpcolumn

Have you ever counted?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Have you ever counted?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sam Karlinski
    Participant

It occurred to me the other day that I’d never actually counted the strings on my harp. Of course, I immediately made sure there were 47, just to make sure I wasn’t being lied to all these years! Has anyone else had any silly little moments like that?

HBrock25
    Participant

I’ve always taken it on faith myself. Of course I usually take whatever @[[kimberly-rowe:User:Kimberly Rowe]] tells me on faith, so there you go.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

I often check in my rearview mirror to make sure there is a harp in my car when I drive off to work. As if I could forget so quickly the effort of getting it in there.

aaron-walden
    Participant

Yes. I have two harps, and I’ve counted the strings on both. In the case of one, I counted it hoping the maker had thrown in an extra. 🙂

kreig-kitts

I took this to be a more general musical and thought “there are many musicians, including harpists, who obviously have never counted and never will, which explains a lot about their entrances”.

Strings? I don’t remember counting, but I’ve never needed to since I can see a harp’s top and bottom strings and know how many it has. I’d notice if any of the octaves didn’t have 7 notes since the C and F pattern would be off. Never had to count them.

Alison
    Participant

I try to stop people counting, expecially if they are having to train their eyes on each string… far better to understand that there are 7 individual notes in each ‘octave’ ( and 7 corresponding pedals) , not to assume 8 and to count the complete octaves, so two strings short of 7 octaves is 49 less 2 that’s 47 !!

jessica-wolff
    Participant

When you only have 33 strings, it’s not as big a deal.

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

I tend to forget whether it’s 35 or 36 for some reason (it’s 35!). Don’t know why I do that.

tony-morosco
    Participant

All I’ll say is: Yes. Yes I have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies