harpcolumn

Bartok Concerto 2nd harp part….HELP!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Bartok Concerto 2nd harp part….HELP!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello all,

I have just been hired to play the second harp part for the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra…My problem is that the concert is in two weeks, I’ve not played the part before, and I can’t get the music until next Wednesday. Unfortunately, Bartok is still under copyright on the IMSLP site. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to send me a photocopy/scan of their part with markings so I can get a start on it NOW? Also, any advice in general regarding practicing, orchestra rehearsals, etc is always appreciated 🙂 From what I understand, it’s quite a difficult piece and both first and second harps are challenging. Thank you!!!

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Google it too. There are several online references that may be able to help a little.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Hi Stephanie! First of all, relax. It is not easy music, but you CAN do it in 2 weeks. It is an amazing piece, very rewarding and I think you’ll be happy you got the chance to dig into it. I don’t have the markings, unfortunately, nor do I have the part in front of me. I’ve played the piece twice—first harp the first time, second harp the second time. Neither time was recently; so I can tell you what I remember in general, but can’t back it up with measure numbers. There is a moment where the second harp alone has short, harsh descending glissandi. These should be percussive and played near the board with some kind of a stick. I might have used the backs of two spoons. It definitely needs to come through! The hardest part of the piece, in my opinion, is a beautiful and rather show chordal section

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Stephanie, I will e-mail a scan of the harp II part to you. Get yourself a recording ASAP. I may have edited excerpts to send you, too. I think there are some in Beatrice Rose’s “The Harp In The Orchestra.” Also, you can use hard plastic guitar picks for the glissandos in the first movement. I think the hardest part of this work is the very end of the last movement. Good luck!!

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Forgot to credit Julie Albertson, who originally was kind enough to take the time to send the scanned harp II Bartok part to me. I have received so much help from the generous online Harp Column community, I am grateful for the opportunity to reciprocate.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi Rosalind,
    I just now saw this thread and was about to reply to Stephanie when I saw your post. Glad to have helped some time ago and that you are able to pay it forward.
    Best,
    Julie in Atlanta

katherine-willow
    Participant

To piggy back on what Eliza said, don’t worry, it takes a bit of work but is very doable in the time frame you have. For the pedal-y section Eliza mentioned, I found it incredibly helpful to rewrite a few of the notes enharmonically. For the glissandi, I find that felt pics really cut through sound-wise without damaging your strings. Have fun with the part — it’s such a cool piece!

There are two major problems in this piece, playing only on offbeats, and the fugue. You should contact the first harpist to see if he/she will do the edited version by Chalifoux where you alternate hands so you both have something on the beat and the offbeat. The fugue solution is to exchange notes between the right and left hands so it is playable.

Alison
    Participant

Is this the piece needing wooden spoons, or perhaps it was metal teaspoons, can’t remember but best not to be caught out.

I think it sounded fine when I used the backs of my fingernails, which doesn’t damage the strings.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.